Considering a Freedom Plate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mariner156

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I tried to search and found very little on this topic. I was hoping to get some opinions and thoughts on the Freedom Plate. It looks pretty appealing especially for a travel rig. I am already diving a backplate, is there a big enough difference to justify the switch? I like the concept and the looks of it, but would love some feedback from others. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks

So I tried to search and found very little on this topic. I was hoping to get some opinions and thoughts on the Freedom Plate. It looks pretty appealing especially for a travel rig. I am already diving a backplate, is there a big enough difference to justify the switch? I like the concept and the looks of it, but would love some feedback from others. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks
Do a search, the good news is you’ll likely have a lot of time to consider one.

As I said I tried to search it several times with several different key words and it returned very little.... Maybe I'm just too stupid to work the search bar. Thanks

As I said I tried to search it several times with several different key words and it returned very little.... Maybe I'm just too stupid to work the search bar. Thanks
Type in “freedom backplate” I got 10 pages of hits here on SB, there is a lot more info available than back plates.

The search function doesn’t work very well since they’ve recently updated the site.
I’m going to stay out of this one since my opinion is biased being that I’m the guy who makes them.
I’ll let actual users respond with unbiased reviews.
Both good and bad please for this guy, let’s be honest.

I'm a tec diver and I have a lot of expensive diving gear, but the one piece of gear that I covet the most is my Freedom Plate. Not only is it a beautiful piece of art that draws attention from everyone that sees it, it is also the most comfortable and well balanced backplate I have ever used.
Mine, not for sale at ANY price! Ask me how I really feel about it. LOL

20220518_172910.png

IMO, If you are looking for a rig that is:
  • Exchangeable Wing
  • Rigid
  • Exclusively for Single-Tank, Back-Mount for your primary cylinder
It is the best out there!

I have one of Eric's standard size, light-weight, stainless versions (w/o either his rails or wedge). It is very comfortable as well as lighter and more compact for travel than a typical plate (roughly comparable to a standard AL plate weight). I have personalized it to add my own belt-buckle anti-roll wedge, to allow for on-the boat weighting, misc. accessory attachment points, and (using an off-the-shelf band) sidemount-style bungees for slinging a Pony/Stage bottle.

My only only issue is that I have a longish torso for my height, I would prefer a "Long" LW SS version, and I some how missed the cut on the last production run that Eric made :mad: (Said with a :wink:)

That said:
  • A "Soft-Plate" might be lighter and more packable but still allow you to swap wings.
  • Ultralight Back-inflate BCs might be smaller and lighter yet. (SP LiteHawk, AL Rogue, etc.)
  • If you are purely sidemounting this is the wrong conversation.
  • etc.

ETA: Unless you get exceptionally lucky, expect to wait.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom