My Sherwood Gemini Dilemma x 4... Please advise!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shekes

Contributor
Reaction score
We just booked a two-week diving trip in the tropics.
So I unpacked our diving gear that we haven't used in 4 years and realized that we have quite a few problems, the main being that our only octos as well as our only inflators are Sherwood's Gemini and these devices haven't exactly served us well in the past.
I am not sure what to do and would really appreciate some advice.

For two divers we have:

2 x Sherwood Maximus
1 x Mares MR 12 Abyss (MR12 first + Abyss second stages)
4 x Sherwood Gemini octo inflators

our BCDs are a Zeagle Scout and an small Oxycheq wing (Signature Mach V 30lb)

All four Gemini were bought in 2007/08 and have been continuously free flowing pretty much from day one.

Being octo inflators they are part of both: our regulators and our BCDs.
Thus we were able to use neither which completely spoiled our holidays in the past.

As far as the rest of our gear: one Maximus reg also had some issues but these seem to have been resolved and the other Maximus wasn't even the water yet. Mares MR 12 Abyss worked fine. The Oxycheq wing's dump valve broke the first time I tried it. (It snapped in two when I pulled the string. I will post a thread with pics in the next couple of weeks) The valve was replaced but the wing is now disassembled and I might need a few hints how to put it back together.

All regs were serviced about 3 years ago but were never even tested since. So they would need to be serviced which (in Ireland) would cost between $50 and $90 per reg or $350-$630 in total (+shipping).
I definitely wouldn't risk servicing only two of the Gemini's because of my experience with them in the past.

I could also try to sell the Gemini (or even all Sherwood regs) and replace them with 2 x Scubapro Air 2 which would cost at least $300. Scubapro Air 2 - 4th Generation. Regulators Octopus, Scubastore.com, buy, offers, dive The problem is:
What if anything would I get for the Gemini and how well would Air 2 work with MR 12 and Sherwood 1st stages.

I don't have the original BCD inflators and I would like to stick with a octo inflator setup anyway.

What do you think I should do?
Has anybody had the experience of the Gemini stopping to free flow after being serviced?
Any thoughts on Scubapro Air 2 combined with other manufacturers 1st stage?

70 views but no replies... Has anybody got the damn Gemini? Sherwood rep PMed and no reply.

I guess I am going to have to get rid of these things, if even the manufacturer does not want to commit to them.:shakehead:
No more Sherwood for me.:no:

So I sold all 8 of my Sherwood first+second+octos today. I did not get much for them but I am happy I won't have to deal with Sherwood anymore.
The only thing I still have left in my house that says "Sherwood" on it is my oldest mask. This mask was the first piece of diving equipment I ever bought, so I'll keep it and, should anyone ask me, I will say "Yes, it is Sherwood, stay away from their products!"

Dead is Sherwood! Long live Zeagle!

Back
Top Bottom