what's your favorite??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lahroy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm trying to get as much info about diver computers as I can and would really like to get as many user reviews as possible. Anyone with a dive computer please share the pros and cons of your computer. Also any info/advice on computers for rec and tech diving. Anyone recommend a computer to replace all guages?

I love my Liquivision X1, it's small, easy to read in the dark and can deal with any gas mix I need to tell it I'm using...
The downside is that it's expensive and the rebreather connection has been discontinued.

Shearwater Predator, huge display, works with any gas, user replaceable battery, simplest computer on the planet to use.

For Rec diving, I have a really really really like my DataMask. The HUD puts the numbers in front of your eye and all you have to do is glance down to see them, this leaves both hands and arms free. It is simple to operate (2 button) as with almost all newer computers it does Nitrox, the profiles are downloadable and Oceanic (at least in my case) will stand behind their products. I also carry a Oceanic BUD as a backup. Even easy to use (1 button) and has all of the functions needed to carry in case something happens with the mask.

I actually sell the Oceanic mask. It's ok. There are still transmitter issues. But the biggest issue is two fold. People lay tanks on it, or it gets swept off their head by a wave. For these reasons, I sell a lot of them to repeat buyers.

It sucks for tech anyway you chalk it up. (Yes I'm sure someone will now chime in about how great it is for tech diving, and if you believe that, you are NOT a tech diver)

I actually sell the Oceanic mask. It's ok. There are still transmitter issues. But the biggest issue is two fold. People lay tanks on it, or it gets swept off their head by a wave. For these reasons, I sell a lot of them to repeat buyers.

It sucks for tech anyway you chalk it up. (Yes I'm sure someone will now chime in about how great it is for tech diving, and if you believe that, you are NOT a tech diver)

The OP asked me what my favorite computer was for Rec and Tec. I said for Rec diving the Datamask is my favorite.:confused:

I have been diving with it for +/-50 dives and it has not had tanks laid on it or been swept off my head by a wave. Are you saying any other mask couldn't get a tank layed on it or any other masks can't get swept off your face by a wave?

Haha! That's funny that you have to ask that question.

Look a little deeper. If you lose a mask to a wave or drop a tank on one... what's it cost you? $70 bucks? What's it cost you when you do this to a data mask? $800+

And I didn't condemn you for buying the mask. I even said that I sell a lot of them. But, I see nothing wrong with me giving him another perspective. Just as I welcome you to give him another perspective on my choice of computer. For example, you could pick on price or size. But, I'm sure your significant other convinced you size didn't matter. :D

Thanks. to narrow down preference. I'm looking for a computer that satisfies (as best it can) the following: compass, spg, time, temp, depth. Dive planning assistance (timers, limits, safety stop notification) warnings, alerts, bright and easy to see display. Air, nitrox, trimix capable. Pretty much a computer that will replace
all guages. Any thoughts?

For recreational diving, I use an Oceanic VT4. Sweet Nitrox computer with air integration & does multiple gases. However, I don't fully trust the transmitters & carry an analog SPG as a back- up.

For tech diving I have 2 Shearwater predators. As stated above, bright display, easy to read, simple to work & does any gas mixture.
Transmitters are not common (though not unheard of) fare for technial diving, because of the reliability issues, so getting away from gauges all together may not be the best.

I love my Luna but I dive it in GAUGE mode.

Back
Top Bottom