GEO II Decompression Schedules

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hetland

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I currently have a Geo I which I use on all my recreational dives as a back-up, and in Gauge Mode for decompression dives.

I see where the Geo II allows you to dive a single deco mix, and I wondered if it was set up like the GEO I, where it tells you to go immediately to a 10ft stop once you incur mandatory decompression, or does it act like a true decompression computer, with reasonable stops every ten feet starting at deeper depths, with the longest stop at 20ft instead of 10?

Thanks

The Deco Stop Plan (number of stops and their respective length) is not fixed, but it depends on the profile (depth/time) of the dive. See Introduction to Dive Computers
Alberto (aka eDiver)

Yes, but my current computer (GEO I) seems to be weighted towards that 10ft stop. It seems to put a priority on getting me shallow, rather than stopping me for shorter, deeper stops on the way up. As a result, I have to observe my computer pitch a fit as I work my 10ft stop off at 20ft.

Admittedly, I don't use it for planned deco unless it's in gauge mode, so I'm basing this on shorter dives.

I'm trying to figure out if the GEO II is set up as a true 2-gas decompression computer, or as a recreational computer that rushes you to 10ft to sit out your obligation. Also, can you adjust the depth of your final stop, or are you stuck with 10ft?

Hi Hetland,

The GEO 2.0 has a setting where you can turn on deep stops. The stops are just suggestions as you will no get penalized for not stopping. It also has dual algorithm which will allow you to switch from a more liberal algorithm to a more conservative algorithm. You can also set the depth and duration of your safety stop.

Let me know if that helps,

Mike

Hi Hetland,

The GEO 2.0 has a setting where you can turn on deep stops. The stops are just suggestions as you will no get penalized for not stopping. It also has dual algorithm which will allow you to switch from a more liberal algorithm to a more conservative algorithm. You can also set the depth and duration of your safety stop.

Let me know if that helps,

Mike

Thanks Mike. Can you tell me if it runs decompression the same way as the DG03 and/or the VT4?

The DG03 is based on the Pelagic Z+ algorithm, so it's going to be a bit more conservative. On the DG03 you cannot change the algorithm.

The GEO 2.0 and the VT4 can use either the DSAT algorithm (standard algorithm across all of the Oceanic computers) or the Pelagic Z+ algorithm if you wanted it to run like a Suunto or an Uwatec.

So which ever algorithm you choose, as long as the computers are using the same algorithm, the decompression schedules will match up.

That's why we love Dual Algorithm :D

Mike

Last edited:
The answer is no. None of the oceanic/aeris/hollis are true deco computers except maybe the dg05. It will send you up to 10ft and if you get to a 20ft stop it will give you the time for the 20ft stop but not the total ascent time.

..... it will give you the time for the 20ft stop but not the total ascent time.
That is not correct. The Geo 2.0 (and most of Oceanic dive computers) do show the TAT. See image:

divenav_idc_geo20_tat.jpg

Alberto (aka eDiver)

NCadiver,

DiveNav is right. If you end up passing your NDL, the GEO 2.0 (and all of our current computers as well as most older ones) won't leave you hanging without a back up plan. It will tell you where to stop and for how long to stop. This is a crucial feature in any dive computer.

-Mike

NCadiver,

DiveNav is right. If you end up passing your NDL, the GEO 2.0 (and all of our current computers as well as most older ones) won't leave you hanging without a back up plan. It will tell you where to stop and for how long to stop. This is a crucial feature in any dive computer.

-Mike

That not what I meant what I said is they don'tgive you total ascent time once you hit the 20ft mark.

That is not correct. The Geo 2.0 (and most of Oceanic dive computers) do show the TAT. See image:

Alberto (aka eDiver)

You may be right on the geo2 , veo 3 and the vt4 may give total ascent time but the older ones don not.
I am going to have to try these guy out with the with the deco mode to verify it and also check the older manual since all the current ones were updated last year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom