I just had to smile . . . and share :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM

Missed and loved by many.
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Peter, my husband, is running a private OW class for two students. One started out the first day in the pool in the shop rental BCs, which are jackets. She thought diving in the pool was great fun, but complained that the tank didn't feel like it stayed put very well, so the next day, she showed up for class in her mother's back-inflate BC. She said that was MUCH better. But today, Peter put her in one of our backplate setups . . . by the end of an hour and a half or so in the pool, she was all smiles (grin from ear to ear) and said, "This is SO much better! I love this thing. I'm going to tell my mother that this is what I have to have."

She likes the paddle fins better, too . . . :)

Now she should try a soft harness and wing! That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Backplates are for doubles (tee hee).

So easy to convert, aren't they!

What's a BP/W? :D

What's a BP/W? :D

Eh, they're only for Tech divers.

The right equipment make beginners look good :D

Peter, my husband, is running a private OW class for two students. One started out the first day in the pool in the shop rental BCs, which are jackets. She thought diving in the pool was great fun, but complained that the tank didn't feel like it stayed put very well, so the next day, she showed up for class in her mother's back-inflate BC. She said that was MUCH better. But today, Peter put her in one of our backplate setups . . . by the end of an hour and a half or so in the pool, she was all smiles (grin from ear to ear) and said, "This is SO much better! I love this thing. I'm going to tell my mother that this is what I have to have."

She likes the paddle fins better, too . . . :)

Ok... Here goes. Since I have never worn anything but my BC, I do not understand. Never actually seen a "Tech"/"BP & W" setup let alone got to take one out. Is there really that much of a difference? If they are that much better, why are they not the norm? Cost? Please do not think that I'm attempting to stir up the hornets nest with this question. I know that a lot of folks feel strongly about "Their" set-up. Please keep in mind, I do not exactly live in the scuba diving capital of the world. LDSs around here are few and far between. If someone knows of a good site or an old thread that describes the benefit of the "other" set ups, please point me in the right direction. Thanks for you help.

Ok... Here goes. Since I have never worn anything but my BC, I do not understand. Never actually seen a "Tech"/"BP & W" setup let alone got to take one out. Is there really that much of a difference? If they are that much better, why are they not the norm? Cost? Please do not think that I'm attempting to stir up the hornets nest with this question. I know that a lot of folks feel strongly about "Their" set-up. Please keep in mind, I do not exactly live in the scuba diving capital of the world. LDSs around here are few and far between. If someone knows of a good site or an old thread that describes the benefit of the "other" set ups, please point me in the right direction. Thanks for you help.

A search for "backplate" with give you plenty of reading on the subject. More than a few threads address why they are not the norm. Your situation is a perfect example. None of the Lds in your area carry them, so you are unlikely to be introduced to them. Price is not the issue, my DSS rig cost as much as my wife's BCD. Most will be comparable to regular BCDs and cheaper than the higher end ones.

I made the switch early on and will never go back, mostly thanks to SB.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom