Gullivers Lake Park July 2012 Video Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

treasurechaser

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
[video=youtube;lMASL19m0v8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMASL19m0v8[/video]

Went about a month ago. Vis was excellent 10-15+ feet. Water was warm. Algae levels decent, going back to check them soon.

There is a dive platform. It is located about 50 ft starting from the south-south-west direction of the lake at about 20 feet deep, there is a few trees nearby which is about lined up with the dive platform which is what you can see in the intro of the video.

A few small fish here and there. Also there is a mysterious grey fog hanging in a few deep parts, is it a gas? Its in the video, I am not sure what it is my self.

Great for skills training.

About 1 hour west of Toronto.

More info
Home | Gulliver's Lake Park

Last edited:
been there for the last 2 wednesdays. Its a nice place to work on your skills. This week, there was tons of fish in some areas. About a dozen at a time and all 10"+ long

Those grey clouds are kinda neat. not sure what they are though.

I really need an identification chart for local fish....i know more about the ones down south lol

Went to Gullivers today to practice some skills on the platform.

Vis about 5 ft, kindy green & murky, way more than when I went in July, as the video above shows.

Water Temp was about 81 F.

Well, yes they can find better...Niagara River, Cedar Hill near Wiarton, and Tobermory. Want a bit of a drive, try Brockville area. But if you 're just starting out, and want to do skills, it's ok...right now viz looks like crap though.

Humber Bay and Lake Simcoe I would leave till the fall and the boats are gone. There's also Welland Canal Scuba Park and that quarry down near Fort Erie.....

Aqua Sports north of Toronto runs charters to the wrecks of the Sligo and the Merrill in Humber Bay on Thursday nights, too.

For the record, the grey "fog" is what happens when colder water meets the warmer water. Put your hand into the fog and you'll notice it's much colder, probably this is where the springs come up to interact with the water.

That is very interesting. Didnt think about the springs doing that.

I have seen the grey effect in larger scales in cave diving photos/videos.

Had a theory it might be fish egg/sperm spawning grounds.

Thx mstachowsky.

---------- Post Merged at 03:35 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 03:28 PM ----------

@shoredivr

So many dive sites in Ontario and so little time to do them. Tobermory is our fav spot and have been diving it every summer for a while. Just went a week ago, did Caroline Rose and big tub. Going again shortly to dive niagara II, wetmore, nuwaygo. Vis was 30+ feet.

@patpicos

Thx for info, its nice to go back and see vis and stats for a certain time of year. New to KW area and quarry/small lake diving. Having a blast so far. Any good spots close to Hamilton?

Thanks for the video. It does bring back memories. I did two dives there in May 2007 as part of my Prism Rebreather training. I do recall the visibility was much better, but then the ice had just left the quarries a couple of weeks before. You sure do a lot of driving though to get to your various dive sites. ;-)

You sure do a lot of driving though to get to your various dive sites. ;-)

Tell me about it. Cedar Hill is the closest decent dive site IMO and it is 5 hours of driving for me (there and back). Tobermory is 7 hours. Kingston is 8 hours. All that just for 2 ~1 hour dives. I do it because I love diving...... Gullivers is a cess pool of radioactive waste IMO but I still dive it because it gets me wet and is only 1.5 hours (there and back).

That is very interesting. @patpicos

Thx for info, its nice to go back and see vis and stats for a certain time of year. New to KW area and quarry/small lake diving. Having a blast so far. Any good spots close to Hamilton?

Not a whole lot. I find myself going to Niagara for most of my diving (Welland Scuba, chippawa creek, navy hall, windmill point). I havent done the niagara river yet...current too strong for my skills so far.

Back
Top Bottom