Halcyon Infinity vs. Traveler (leaning toward Zeagle Stiletto) / others?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

djwang2000

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished my confined water training. Open water coming up in a few weeks followed by a number of dives already planned. Originally, I was going to hold off on buying a BC, but after a number of different BCs during the cw sessions -- all of them equally uncomfortable / confining / non-fitting, I'm electing to go ahead a get my own BC.

So, here are the factors --

I get cold easily, so even though most (if not all, initially) of my diving will be done in warm weather, I'll be wearing 3 or 5 mm full suits -- I'm 5' 7" / 135 lbs -- so no natural insulation at all!

I'd like a system that is (relatively) easy to travel with, but lightweight isn't absolutely critical.

Integrated weights -- very important (I find the weight belt very confining).

Back inflate - no question about this

I'd like to avoid something that isn't ready to go "out of the box" -- I saw a few posts about the express tech and was thinking that it wold be perfect, but then I got to ~ page 5 of the mega thread and all the talk about adding crotch straps and triglides etc. left me somewhat less excited -- I don't want to spend lots of time figuring out how to get the BCD to work for ME.

I'd prefer something with 2 tank straps (more comfortable in my mind) -- the AquaLung Zuma got ruled out on this account.

I don't like the idea of a crotch strap -- but maybe this isn't such a big deal?

I'm not too concerned with "I'd like to do tech / cave / etc... down the road" -- 1st I probably won't, 2nd if I do, I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

So, the Stiletto (or more likely Stiletto Ltd) seems to fit the bill. I might be able to try it on locally.

I was trying to learn more about the Halcyon infinity and traveler last night -- looks like those eliminate the chest strap and have a crotch strap, but seem very adjustable. I'm considering an oxycheq bp/w as well. Problem with these options is there are no dealers within a 100 mile radius -- any comments on "comfort" and fit of the halcyon?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

I just got a traveler, but have only dove it once.
With that in mind...here's mt take on it:

The plate, with it's 4 pockets make it prett versatile in terms of adding enough weight to avoid a weight belt. You can make it an 8 lb. plate, and go as high as 12 lbs. if you want.
it comes with a crotch strap, and a cinch harness adjustment built in.
$600 retail. A pretty great deal when you compre it to what else is out ther.

I don't want to spend lots of time figuring out how to get the BCD to work for ME.

Thoughts?

My thought is that you will, by following that tenet, have a poorly-fitted BC no matter what you get. If you want the Stiletto LTD to fit right, you'll need to invest the time up front to separately size the shoulders and the vest (I say this as someone who has owned one and is tall relative to their weight). If you want the BP/W to fit right, you'll need to invest the time after buying it to adjust the harness to fit you.

The Stiletto LTD is a great BC, Zeagle is a great company, and I liked how mine dove. That said, I strongly suggest a basic (Eclipse) Halcyon BP/W (skip the padding and the cinch adjustment). Get a 30lb wing, SS plate, STA with dual bands...you'll require little enough extra weight for what you want to do (light exposure protection, warm water, probably AL80s) that you can get away with just a couple lbs of soft weights in tank-band mounted trim pockets or a STA weight slab. Heck, you may find you don't need any extra weight with that rig; if you go to the delightful steel 100 tank, you surely won't.

Travel-wise, it's hard to beat in terms of compactness. Use-wise, it's even harder to beat in terms of simplicity and buoyancy control. Comfort-wise...you don't need padding. By way of example: even on land in a 3mm suit, the weight of full double steel 130s (around 120lbs) isn't painful with a bare harness and AL plate and they may as well not be there underwater. In a 3mm or 5mm suit, whatever single tank you choose will not need padding to be comfy :D

Last edited:
I would add that the crotch strap and Halcyon harness system, allows the tank to become "part of you". While a nice BC, the Zeagle and other typical recreational style back inflates, are not going to fit like they are actually part of your body....It feel awesome when you can suddenly turn or move, and the tank is not "this way and then that" on your back...bit is actually part of you--you don't even really feel it any more. Zero lag.

+1, but omit the infinity model. The basic set-up is extremely comfortable...

I agree. I have an Eclipse also...there's no need for the padding on the Infinity.
On the traveler, it already comes with it, but the price is low enough that it's not an issue.

Infinity vs. Eclipse...the padding is costing you quite a bit Extra.

-Mitch

Although I'm a fairly new diver (34 so far) I am already moving away from both integrated weights and belts. I bought a DUI harness a couple of weeks ago and did 4 drysuit dives with it last weekend. I can't tell you what a difference it makes, I felt much more connected to the weights than when they are in the integrated pockets, and I'm not worried about my pockets falling out. I will definitely be taking it with me to the islands.

Cheers

Sometimes a little energy put in at the beginning pays off handsomely in the long run. If you want a perfect fit and the maximum stability of the tank, and two cambands, a backplate system is going to be your best bet. Your worry about the crotch strap isn't necessary; they aren't uncomfortable, and they are the key to a three-point system for securing the tank so it won't move. A backplate system can offer an integrated weight option, like the Halcyon ACB pockets or a DUI Weight & Trim harness. I personally prefer to have some of my weights not on my rig, so the rig is easier to move around on land, and so that I would not be unmanageably buoyant if I had to take my gear off underwater.

Given all of your constraints in the original post, I'd point you toward a steel plate in a Deep Sea Supply single tank setup, with a DUI Weight & Trim harness. I think you'd be very happy with the setup. You could go with a Kydex plate, which would be lighter for travel, and weight pockets on the cambands -- but with your exposure protection, you'll need enough weight to make a stainless plate a very reasonable choice.

I'd like to avoid something that isn't ready to go "out of the box" -- I saw a few posts about the express tech and was thinking that it wold be perfect, but then I got to ~ page 5 of the mega thread and all the talk about adding crotch straps and triglides etc. left me somewhat less excited -- I don't want to spend lots of time figuring out how to get the BCD to work for ME.

An Express Tech is assembled when purchased and costs $260. The only thing you need to do is trim the straps. If you want to add pockets that will take you 5 minutes to install. A crotch strap takes about the same amount of time. To add 4 D-rings is maybe 20 minutes. You are not looking at a large time commitment. The dive shop you purchase the BC from would probably set it up for you if you asked.

It's incredibly easy to add a crotch strap and pockets on the Express Tech. The result is simply outstanding!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom