BP / Wing / Harness Fitting. Am I Physically Defective?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Litefoot

Contributor
Reaction score
I've watched a few YT videos on harness fitting and I'm either not getting the adjustment right or I'm too old and not limber enough to do what I see in the videos. Every video talks about the fist method for checking shoulder strap tension. And some talk about crotch strap length determination and how to position the d-rings on the webbing. I get all that. But at the end of the day, I cannot reach over and down my back and touch the top of the plate unless the shoulder straps are very tight (not recommended).

And reaching the tank valve with my harness donned? I see the importance of being able to do this, but is that while standing on dry land or while in the water when everything is all floaty? If it's the former, then I must be the only non-circus-performer-contortionist diver. What am I missing?

I would say something, if it did not eat into your valuable time, required to absorb the presented information

I must suggest the video had me at 1:21 with the words, "Don't dive like this, or that stoopid superman pose."

Yeah, there us zero chance I can reach my valve with my BCD on. I don't actually see this as a problem

I'm not convinced that being able to touch the top of the backplate is a good indicator of a correct setup.

And reaching the tank valve with my harness donned? I see the importance of being able to do this, but is that while standing on dry land or while in the water when everything is all floaty? If it's the former, then I must be the only non-circus-performer-contortionist diver. What am I missing?
It's easier in the water because you can maneuver the tank(s) around on your back if you're horizontal in the water, as long as you're not overly restricted by your exposure protection.

On land I would suggest you sit down somewhere to reach the valve(s), by sitting down the tank will hit what your sitting on and end up higher on your back. It's very common to not be able to reach the valve(s) while standing upright.

You want to be able to reach the valve in an emergency while in the water. You want the harness tight enough so the tank is not flopping around. In general, you want some slop in the shoulders and use the crotch strap and waist strap to provide stability.

In the water you can cheat a little and push up from behind (near your waist) on the backplate and reach back over the top with the other hand. I would suggest you try to get it reasonably close to what you think and then get in the water and play with it a little. Chances are it will be pretty close to acceptable assuming you have normal shoulder flexibility. Hopefully that addresses the question.

Me personally, my shoulder mobility is not good. If I ever have to reach back and handle the valve, I am prepared to quickly open the waist strap, and grab the shoulder strap and haul the tank a little up toward my head.

It is funny, I've only had one emergency where I had to reach back and work the valve and I was so scared/stressed that I did it instantly with zero strain or discomfort (none that I remember anyway) and didn't open any straps or have to move the tank/harness - I just did it (somehow).

I've watched a few YT videos on harness fitting and I'm either not getting the adjustment right or I'm too old and not limber enough to do what I see in the videos. Every video talks about the fist method for checking shoulder strap tension. And some talk about crotch strap length determination and how to position the d-rings on the webbing. I get all that. But at the end of the day, I cannot reach over and down my back and touch the top of the plate unless the shoulder straps are very tight (not recommended).

Not everyone will be able to reach their valves and in the case of a single tank and warm water or even temperate water I do not need nor care to be able to reach my valve (easily). Due to multiple injuries to my shoulders and a surgery now there is no position of the plate that I could reach any valve.

If you are a big guy with big arms you simply may find it impossible. The concern (single tank) is jumping in with your valve off and worse jumping in with the valve off and no fins and then plummeting to the bottom and drowning. For me, I have no rig I use in warm or temperate water that I cannot maintain myself on the surface and I have no rig that I cannot quick dump/jettison (most of) my weight in an emergency if I must.

I can reach my valve for whatever reason by unsnapping my crotch strap, then pushing the tank from the bottom up and to the side and then reaching over with my arm to the valve. It may take me about 5 seconds to do that and yes I have a snap buckle on my crotch strap, a deviation for my needs from Hogarthian purity.

Set you back plate up with plenty of gap in the shoulders, leave some room in the crotch strap and use the waist strap to hold the plate to your body. Let the plate center itself on your body and then adjust the tank up or down in the cam bands as suits you and your trim needs. And put your fins on and breath your reg while watching your spg while clearing the area below before striding in.

I'm glad you posted this thread - I've got a non-DIR BP/W setup with the HOG adjustable straps; I've lost some shoulder flexibility after surgery, so I figured the ability to loosen the strap to get in and then tighten it up would be helpful (which it has proven to be). But man, figuring out whether I've got everything adjusted right and whether it's sitting where it's supposed to be has been a challenge. I found that, as is posted above, you don't have to have everything cinched down crazy tight. The waist strap should be snug, but leaving a bit of slack in the shoulder straps helps everything sit better. I also can't reach the tank valve on dry land and honestly haven't tried it in water, but I believe that I could lift up the plate with one hand and reach the valve with the other.

I always felt like the plate was riding too low, and with it the tank. But although it might look low when I'm looking in the mirror, in the water it seems fine. The LP inflator is where it needs to be, the shoulder D-rings are high on my chest, everything works. I'd suggest getting it set up as best you can and then just diving it a few times - it may be that you've got it better tuned in than you think.

Lots of really good advice above. If you are diving a single tank here's some more advice. Turn the tank valve handle 45 degrees toward you in your BPW/BCD. You may not be able to do this unless you have a turret first stage or your hose arrangement allows this. If you can, the valve will be much closer to your shoulder and more reachable underwater. Remember to arch your back to bring the valve closer instead of hunching forward instinctively to try to reach it. You can also use the back of your head to push your hand closer. The only way to reach valves on land is to sit on a chair or table which moves the tanks to dive position.

It might be a technique problem. Quite often the instinct way of reaching back is elbow 90 degrees to the direction you are facing. If this is how you are doing it, your scapula/other shoulder anatomy will block your arms range of motion. instead...
Hold your arm down your side, palm facing hip. Bend arm forward and upward so Elbow points front, and palm strokes your ear. Continue this motion till thumb reaches neck/shoulder bend. Then you can turn wrist so palm /fingers touches plate. Make sure elbow still points forward/upward and not out to the side.

I learned to dive with a plastic backpack, no wing, and continuous web harness. Now I use an adjustable HOG harness, and am amazed so many divers see that as less desirable. Having used both, I just don't get the issue. If my straps are a bit too loose, just give a tug on the straps. Too tight, easy fix to loosen. For me, easier is better.

Back
Top Bottom