Backplate / harness fitting - doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr. Dooley

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Frustrated with trouble reaching valves (left post specifically). Just got a new drysuit and while it made reaching the left valve a little easier, it's still challenging. Right post no biggie. Flexibility is the same in both shoulders / arms. Not sure if the drysuit dump valve slightly limits range of motion on that side, or if corrugated wing inflator hose sits in between my shoulder and the left post adding another inch of distance, etc.

So I messed around with my harness and try to get better situated in that regard. Is this about what I should be shooting for? Reaching back about as far as I can in the pictures. I'm wearing heaviest undergarment and a base layer, a common configuration for me. The crotch strap is snug when standing with a slight arch, but not constricting.

Note - I'll bring up the butt d-ring, and I'll be lifting the shoulder D rings slightly.

IMG-5515.PNG
IMG-5516.PNG
IMG-5517.jpg
IMG-5518.jpg
IMG-5519.jpg

I am far from an expert, but I’m thinking they the backplate might be a little short, or your crotch strap is too short? But the waist strap looks very angled down from your hips to the front. Wondering if that’s pulling the whole rig down?

In my estimation, your backplate is too high. Idk where that “just touch the top of the plate” thing came from but it almost universally puts the tanks too high. High tanks are not going to help you reach them nor promote a horizontal posture in the water. It’s backwards of what you’d expect.

Also, stretch. Fiddling with gear can help, but there’s no substitute for puttin in work with your flexibility.

One thing that helped me a lot with reaching my valves, is focusing on reaching while keeping my elbow to the FRONT and not bringing it out to the side like you do in the first picture.

Also, stretching your other arm up can increase your range of motion as well.

Try it - I think you'll find it helpful.

If I just get into my harness in a drysuit, I cannot reach my valves. What I have to do is lift up he upper part of my drysuit prior to buckling my waist belt. This gives me more slack around the shoulders so that I can reach my valves.

Plate looks way way high. You will have the valves holding your head down.
Like digitalMechanic said, keep the elbow in front of you. No clue why it helps but it did me. Practice and you will find that spot.

One thing that helped me a lot with reaching my valves, is focusing on reaching while keeping my elbow to the FRONT and not bringing it out to the side like you do in the first picture.

Also, stretching your other arm up can increase your range of motion as well.

Try it - I think you'll find it helpful.
As DM is saying here, your elbow position is blocking the natural range of motion in the shoulder.
Start with palms down your side, facing your hip. Bend elbow, lift arm so palm strokes ear. Keep elbow forward/upward.

What AJ said. The plate is too high and it appears your shoulder straps are too tight. I too was a slave to the “just be able to touch the plate” problem. It’s a generalization that I don’t think works and leads to plate being too high.
When reaching back besides elbows forward, don’t drop your head. Everybody wants to lower their head or bend it down because it naturally feels like it would help. In actuality due to our biomechanics it actually makes it harder to reach the valves

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom