Backplate / harness fitting - doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What AJ said. The plate is too high and it appears your shoulder straps are too tight. I too was a slave to the “just be able to touch the plate” problem. It’s a generalization that I don’t think works and leads to plate being too high.
When reaching back besides elbows forward, don’t drop your head. Everybody wants to lower their head or bend it down because it naturally feels like it would help. In actuality due to our biomechanics it actually makes it harder to reach the valves
Many of my friends and I all struggled with the touch the top of the plate thing, too, putting the plate much too high on our backs. We struggled to reach the valves because, as you said, you need to look up to be able to reach them effectively, and the manifold was pushing our heads down.

It also made it hard to swim in trim because you couldn't see in front of you because of the isolator holding your head down. Coupled with the tanks being to high on your back making you head heavy and unstable in flat trim.

It's bad advice that needs to go. The reality is a better starting point for the plate is as low as possible on the diver while still allowing them to get to the valves.

Like others said, I find it easier if I picture myself elongating my neck, prevents me from looking down.

If you reach like others said, arm against the face, you can touch the manifold and move your hand from there if that helps.

Idk where that “just touch the top of the plate” thing came from but it almost universally puts the tanks too high
Interesting, TIL.

This advice is given universally on YouTube actually:

From GUE -
From ISE (at 8:05)-
From UTD (at 7:25) - (at 7:25)

From Halcyon -
I guess this is just a starting point and proper fitting requires some trial and error in the water.

Interesting, TIL.

From GUE -

From Halcyon -
I guess this is just a starting point and proper fitting requires some trial and error in the water.
Yea they’re wrong. Over and over this happens to people. It’s just not a good starting point.

Interesting, TIL.

From GUE -

From Halcyon -
Unfortunately it's something taught by tons of people, GUE and Halcyon included. It definitely works for some people, but over the years I've figured out it works for alot less people than I originally realized.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom