Weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BorderCollieSam

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Guys, i'm new to diving and have just purchased a brand new Cressi Aquapro 5 BCD.

I haven't used it yet but it appears to have received some good reviews and i'm looking forward to using it soon.

I now need to get some weight.

I only completed my Open Water a couple of months ago and used a weight belt, however my new BCD has an integrated clip pocket system and according to the information i've found on the internet can hold up to 3KG of weight per pocket.

Do you think this would be enough for fresh water diving? I'm 5ft 10" and weigh 16.5 stone.

Also, i'm unsure what type of weights i need to purchase to fit it? I've seen the cost of some weights and they are so expensive!

It's impossible to say whether it's enough weight. It might be plenty if you're in warm water with little to no exposure protection. It might be nowhere near enough if you're in a drysuit with thick undergarments.

As far as what type of weight, I prefer the simple cast, uncoated lead weights (the kind pictured in that very BC here Cressi Scuba Diving B.C.D - Aquapro 5 ) conveniently, this kind is usually the cheapest as well.

Hi mate thanks for your reply.

I have a 5mm wetsuit with another 5mm shorty oversuit.

Do you know how much those weights would be and what combinations should I purchase as they are available in all sorts of weight sizes.

How much weight did you use for your checkout dives - If you were in the same conditions with the same exposure protection, it'll be a good starting point.

Generally speaking, I would guess that 6kg is a little light for a new diver in a somewhat thick wetsuit but there only one way to know for sure - get in the water and find out (yeah easier said than done). Maybe you can rent weights for a dive just to get your weighting figured out.

Regarding the cost, I have no idea - I think I paid about $2.99 per lb for the plain cast lead 3 years ago but that has doesn't really have any bearing on what you might pay now, especially since it sounds like you're not in the US. Regardless of location though it's probably safe to say that the plain uncoated is going to be the cheapest option.

Regarding what to actually buy, I'd get an assortment of smaller weights. Much more useful in the future as your weighting needs change (likely drop as you gain experience) Not sure if your weights would be available in Lbs or Kgs, but if kilos I'd do something like 4 x 2kg and 4 x 1kg. Gives you up to 12kg, which might be more than adequate (but again refer to the need for a proper weight check) and provides good range of weighting options spread between the weight pockets and a belt. If you need more, and they are available, a pair of 1.5kg would provide even more combinations

I agree -- rent some weights and figure out what you need. I use 4kg in the pool, with a jacket BC, an aluminum tank, and a 5 mil wetsuit. BC, tank type, and wetsuit thickness all play a role in determinine how much you will need, but I think 6kg might not be enough.

Lead is going for about $5 a pound here in retail stores, although you can buy weights used for less. Weights are one thing you don't have to worry about buying used!

Thanks CT Sean and TSandM really appreciate your help on this, as i have no idea where to start.

I shall buy those weights you recommended Sean, as it sounds like i can swap and change and mix and match to suit with those weight combinations, also regarding the plain led weights, are they safe to use? I read last night somewhere about lead poisoning and the majority of weights i've found on shop websites appear to be coated and cost a lot more.....

Money is an issue to me at the moment as i've just bought all my bits now apart from a tank and the weights, so i would prefer to get the uncoated providing its safe?

Many thanks and much appreciated

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom