What type of BC should I get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rickthompson

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello everyone!

I initially got certified a few years ago, just completed Rescue over the summer, and I'm considering finally investing in my own gear. I attend university in FL and I've joined the scuba club so it looks like I'll be diving at least 2-3 times a month from now on. I have about 60 dives under my belt but anticipate to complete many more over the next few years. Just looking at BCs, what style/specific model would you recommend? I've pretty much thrown out the jacket style, so I'm kind of in between the back inflate BC and the backplate/wing style. Although I've only been doing rec diving, I might want to consider investing in gear that will serve me well if I decide to get into technical or research diving. That makes me think the backplate style might be the best (although more expensive). I just don't want to be that guy who has all this tec gear who obviously isn't a tec diver...

Thoughts?

Get a solid (halcyon and DSS are the two that come to my mind, ymmv) bp/w without any fancy adjustment systems or pads, rigged for single tank, and be done with it. If you generally need more than 5-6lbs of weight, get a steel plate; if less, get an AL plate. Cost-wise, you can save a lot of $ buying the pretty much impossible to damage components (plate, harness, cam bands, and STA if you'll be using one) used.

Hollis SMS100. It can be single back mount, double back mount, or sidemount all right out of the box. Its back mount and is very adjustible!!!

Rick, you are in my area when not at school. If you'd like I can let you try a BPW set up. Or at least let you try one on and show you the pros and cons. What you should do is ask yourself what types of dives you plan to do now and what types in the future as you have already done. A back inflate of either type will offer some advantages in the area of trim underwater. It encourages a more horizontal posture when swimming but in truth an accomplished diver can do that using a couple old milk jugs or hot water bottles filled with air and the proper positioning of ones weights.

Now what an actual plate and wing set up does is put weight over the largest air space in the body, your lungs, and get it off the belt. It also allows you to customize the rig to your style and needs. It will also fit, once set up properly, every time. No fussing with buckles and straps. You put it on, cinch the waistbelt, and go.

Now there is one place where you seem to have a misconception. But that could be due to the brands you are looking at. Unless you choose a back inflate like the Zeagle Express Tech, which by the way is a great BC and I love mine, a BPW is often far less expensive than many back inflates. You can source out the pieces from ebay and new and set one up for around $300. Or you can buy a complete new set up for around $400. I could again show you several options and let you decide.

Lastly stop thinking of a BPW as "tech gear" or a "tech BC". It's not. It's a BC. Just different than some other styles but a BC nonetheless. One that allows you to add or remove features pretty much at will. If something happens to it you replace a part. Not the entire BC. The most expensive part generally is the wing. And you can get new ones for 200-250 or used ones for under a hundred if you watch and wait. Plates do not wear out. Webbing? At most $15 to replace.

As an instructor I love the BPW for teaching. A BPW can easily replace 5 conventional BC's (going by sizes s - xl) in a rental situation, I can adjust it to fit dang near anyone in less than 10 minutes, and they look cool as hell.

Hello everyone!
That makes me think the backplate style might be the best (although more expensive). I just don't want to be that guy who has all this tec gear who obviously isn't a tec diver...
Thoughts?

As long as you don't go for something like the $P backplate, I think you're going to find it costs less money to do the BP/W than a BCD. Plus if you ever want to move to doubles, all you change is the wing. I've just purchased a HOG set I'm very happy with, PM me if you want to know what I paid . . .

So why do you care what anyone cares if you're diving "tec style" equipment?

Back
Top Bottom