Mares HD vs GALILEO SOL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Haven't used the Galileo, but I've been diving in all conditions with the Mares Icon for over a year, and can't say enough good things about it. Both are close in price. The Mares has a very nice, large and very visible color display, while the Galileo is dot matrix monochrome. I just took a cavern class where I and two of the instructors were using the Mares, and we could see each others' displays from quite a distance (almost could be called a third backup flashlight!). The programing connection is different - the Galileo uses infrared and the Mares is usb. My suggestion is that you go to a store that has both and physically compare them.

I used the one I'm now selling in a commerical And it was fantastic. I'm selling it because I have a almost new Cobalt and cant part with that! I had a SOL and the Mares is far superior in almost every regard. I loved it

The Scubapro Galileo Sol is an excellent dive computer.

It is very easy to use, read and dive!

Also, the battery lasts a long time.

I've had the chance to use the Mares HD Icon air integrated for about a month, and returned it to buy the Galileo Sol. The Mares is a total disaster plagued by all kinds of problems. Just go to the Mares forum and read about all the serious problems people have had with this: everything from battery issues to unit conversion bugs to resets and timing problems. Mares support sucks.

There is no comparison, the Galileo is the much better choice. If you do go with the Mares, don't say you weren't warned.

Couldn't disagree more. No issues whatsoever with mine. I found the SOL to be be be very hard to read UW and the compass sucked. And as far as the service from Mares? Everytime I called there they were more then helpful in offering me assistance. Maybe they just dont like you??

I've been using the Sol for 3 years. The compass DOESN'T suck.
In fact if you know how to use it, you can find the anchor line every time regardless of how bad vis is.
It's easy to use, to read, & has a a great battery life. I have almost 300 dives on it & the battery is still showing full strength....
The only issue was that the transmitter crapped out in Roatan this year. Scuba Pro gave me a new replacement...

Also, be aware of the Cobalt computers: Atomic Aquatics, which makes the $1,200 Cobalt dive computer models, announced in late September that it's recalling 4,000 of the units in the U.S. and 200 in Canada, which were sold between November 2010 and July 2012. The computer can leak, causing the lens to blow off suddenly, which can result in impact injuries and a breathing gas leak. Atomic has received 23 reports -- but no injuries -- of the lens being forcefully expelled, due to excess air pressure inside the computer.

See everyone has their own favorites, likes dislikes on all this gear. Glad your Sol is working out for you. The compass still Sucks vizaiz the Mares AND the display on the Mares is FAR superior to the dot matrix display on the Sol.! So there!

See everyone has their own favorites, likes dislikes on all this gear. Glad your Sol is working out for you. The compass still Sucks vizaiz the Mares AND the display on the Mares is FAR superior to the dot matrix display on the Sol.! So there!
It only sucks for those who don't know or can't figure out how to use it.....LOL...

Reactions: CPH

Back
Top Bottom