Couple more Zeagle ET questions before purchase...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bkopec

Contributor
Reaction score
I've read through all of the recent Zeagle ET posts and still have a couple questions before placing my order. I plan on using this set up half and half between traveling/tropical (6-8 lbs of weight/AL80 tanks) and spearfishing (steel tank w/ pony, maybe 2 lbs of weight).

Questions:
1. Why do so many not like the standard hose? What is the advantage of getting the shorter hose?
2. What is the difference between the existing quick dump valve and a standard elbow? I have seen several posts from people making this change but don't really understand the reason.
3. Can this be attached or would I need more "holes" to be drilled into the backplate in order to connect up to the grommet holes?
Zeagle E-Z Mount QD Pouch for Signal Tube with Grommets
4. Since I fear cold water and will probably never dive with a 7mm, I will probably only ever need 8 lbs of weight max. Seems like I can save money by grabbing 2 XS Scuba quick release weight pockets and attach to waist band and just slip in a couple of weights from the boat when I travel. Any reason why I couldn't get away w/ that vs. the more expensive ripcord or zip touch systems?

Thanks in advance, hope to order soon for an upcoming Thanksgiving dive trip. Capt. Gene, you have the following configuration in stock and ready to ship?
Standard 24 lb wing.
2 triglides for shoulder straps
4 SS DRings
2" crotch strap
(possibly shorter hose)

Brian
Raleigh, NC

I've read through all of the recent Zeagle ET posts and still have a couple questions before placing my order. I plan on using this set up half and half between traveling/tropical (6-8 lbs of weight/AL80 tanks) and spearfishing (steel tank w/ pony, maybe 2 lbs of weight).

Questions:
1. Why do so many not like the standard hose? What is the advantage of getting the shorter hose?
2. What is the difference between the existing quick dump valve and a standard elbow? I have seen several posts from people making this change but don't really understand the reason.
3. Can this be attached or would I need more "holes" to be drilled into the backplate in order to connect up to the grommet holes?
Zeagle E-Z Mount QD Pouch for Signal Tube with Grommets
4. Since I fear cold water and will probably never dive with a 7mm, I will probably only ever need 8 lbs of weight max. Seems like I can save money by grabbing 2 XS Scuba quick release weight pockets and attach to waist band and just slip in a couple of weights from the boat when I travel. Any reason why I couldn't get away w/ that vs. the more expensive ripcord or zip touch systems?

Thanks in advance, hope to order soon for an upcoming Thanksgiving dive trip. Capt. Gene, you have the following configuration in stock and ready to ship?
Standard 24 lb wing.
2 triglides for shoulder straps
4 SS DRings
2" crotch strap
(possibly shorter hose)

Brian
Raleigh, NC

Some ans to your questions:
1. A shorter hose isn't so cumbersome, you can reach the inflator easier, and it's easier to vent on the surface.
2. If you are referring to the remote exhaust valve instead of a standard elbow, the reasoning is that it's an unnecessary failure point however, I have yet to see one fail. The remote valve is rather bulky vs the standard elbow that's about it.
3. I would rather get the XS Scuba Cargo Pocket, you can put your smb/reel, dive tables, whistle n other stuff.
XS Scuba Cargo Pocket
4. The xs scuba weight pockets are great, I use em on the shoulders instead of the waist as I'm very feet heavy.
5. Add a 2" soft crouch strap.
6. You could also consider the zeagle 30lb Doughnut Bladder
30lb Donut Bladder - Optional Bladders - BCs - Zeagle Dive Systems

Cheers

Thank you very much for the answers. Leads in to a couple follow-ups:

3. Yes, I was considering a cargo pocket or similar for the reasons you suggested. However one of my buddies uses that Zeagle pouch for his pony tank on his Oxychez BP/W and it's really a nice setup. Just want to make sure the same pouch or similar will easily attach to the ET with the existing backplate holes.

6. Actually meant to ask about this...would definitely consider the 30lb donut bladder as long as the difference in travel weight/size is negligible vs. the 24 lb horseshoe.

I personally would not see reason to switch from the 19" corrugated hose to the 16" unless the diver were of small stature. The 19" hose might seem long and the inflator would ride lower on the chest on a very small person.
The non-RE elbow looses the pull-to-dump capability. Most of us have used this feature enough to like it.
On a technically deep dive or in an overhead environment, the standard elbow is simple and without risk of mechantical failure. No moving parts. Not a problem for sport diving as the mechanism is quite dependable and a proven safe design.
If you select the 30# Donut bladder, the QD Pouch will mount to the unused tabs extending down from the plate bottom. The pouch would ride across the top of your backside underneath the bladder at the bottom. Very nicely tucked in.
If you prefer the smaller horseshoe bladder you can add the zippered 8137(sold by the pair) on each side and used the pouch with the zipper instead of the one with the gromits. It works quite well. Easy on and off. Also this zippered hook up point holds other accesory pouches or even the 6 cu ft pony bottle system.
I would not use a weight system that doesn't bolt to the plate. The Zeagle design dives so well not by accident. A weight bag hanging ftom the strap doesn't do exactly the same thing as a weight turning the edge of the plate down over the curve of your hip.
I have been selling a lot of shoulder pad kits to divers who are installing them on the waiste strap along with a pair of welded D rings . Not everyone enjoys naked 2" nylon webbing against skin without the padding of a wet suit under it.
I do have everything in stock and I try very hard to ship orders same day.
Thanks!

Getting rid of the dump valve is mostly tech divers ( and wannabees) removing points of failure and while it does, the gain in safety is minimal at best. I never use the shoulder vent but also don't worry about it either.
If you don't mind your weights being non ditchable...and with 6-8 as your max I don't see a need personally, you can make a very simple weight intergration system out of a couple of pieces of the extra strap material you will likely cut off the harness and 4 sex bolts using existing holes. That is what I have used on my ET for several years. Come to think of it, I have a set of Zeagle weight pockets than attach to the tank band I bought seveal years ago and never used...if you are interested in them, drop me a PM, I am in Raleigh.
For the safety sausage, just add a D ring to the lower tank band and clip it there, no need for a pocket. I would add a pocket of some kind to the waist webbing, I use the Zeagle one but any other would work. I keep small items like a knife and whisle in that pocket. You will def want a crotch strap with this BC.

Back
Top Bottom