Alor Trip Report - Damai 1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kevster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Alor Trip Report Nov 2012- Damai 1 Kupang- Maumere (11 nights)

This was my 2nd trip to Alor.
1st trip was land based in Aug 2008. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/indonesia/302816-big-trip-indonesia-part-2-alor-lembeh.html

Flights
Perth-Bali return cost approx $650 on Jetstar.
Bali-Kupang on Garuda.
Maumere-Bali on Wings.
The domestic flights were arranged by the Damai office, cost approx $300.

Hotels
1 Night in Bali before trip. Stayed at Bali Paradiso Hotel. Approx $120/night. Good location & excellent value for money. I will return to this hotel.

Boat
The boat, the Damai 1 was fantastic. Live-aboarding at its best.

Weather
Fantastic weather. Sunny blue skies & flat calm seas.

Diving
Viss varied from 5-20 meters.
Water temp varied from 23-30 C.

Day 1 – 3 Good dives @ Pulau Kawula. Low viss, nice reef & lots of macro. Blue ribbon eels, nudis. Saw the only turtle of the trip on one of dives.
Day 2- 4 Dives at Beangabang. Macro/muck diving. A few frogfish, pipefish but nothing too special. A bit disappointing as I had read many fantastic reports about Beangabang. Had to abandon the night dive as I had a minor leak in my housing.
Day 3 – 4 Dives around Pulau Pantar/Puri. Mandarin fish dive at dusk.
Day 4 – 4 muck dives around Alor. 2 Rhinopeas, boxer crabs & lots of ghost pipefish.
Day 5- 1 dive at south side of Pantar. Cold water , nice reef but not much to see . 2 dives on wall at North side, great viss, nice fishy reef.
Day 6 – 3 Wall dives, 1 in the South, 2 in the North. The South wall dive @ Crucifixion point was excellent, ripping current & lots of fish, a huge grouper & a tuna.
Day 7 – 2 Wall dives @ Pulau kawula in the morning. Nice reef, sponges. White tip shark. 1 Bommie dive in the afternoon. Couple of white tips, moray, squid. Signs of dynamite damage to upper reef. Average days diving.
Day 8 – 1 Dive on Pulau Komba volcano. Ok dive but lots of current in all directions. Amazing to hear the volcano erupting while we were underwater. Spent evening viewing erupting volcano. A real highlight of the trip.
Day 9 – 4 Very good macro/muck dives @ Pulau Kawula . Perhaps the best dive day of the trip. Sizzler dive site was amazing. Similar to Lembeh/Ambon.
Day 10 – An excellent wall dive near Maumere. Lots of fans, and pigmy seahorse.

Overall the diving was a good mix of wide angle & macro dives. Unfortunately not much large fish life. One guest saw a small whale shark. I saw 1 turtle & maybe 3 white-tip sharks.

Summary
The Good
◦ The boat, crew & guests onboard.
◦ Topside scenery, volcanoes.
◦ Current dive in Alor & some great muck dives.
◦ Fantastic weather

The Bad
◦ Couple of days of average diving.
◦ Not much large fish life.
◦ Viss not as good as my last visit to Alor.
◦ Dynamite fishing heard at a few dive sites.

Overall it was an enjoyable trip. The wall dives in Alor were not as good as my last visit. However the macro/muck dives were better. The topside scenery is spectacular, especially the remote volcano. I would recommend this trip and I will probably return to Alor in the future.

I will post some photos later.

Some topside photos

P1000988.jpg
P1010022.jpg

P1010050.jpg

P1010095.jpg

---------- Post Merged at 03:16 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:40 PM ----------

A few shots from below(spent most of the time shooting video but will be a while before i edit)
P1070623.jpgP1070664.jpgP1070706.jpgP1070774.jpgP1070797.jpgP1070937.jpgP1080067.jpgP1080106.jpg

Attachments

• P1070815.jpg
    P1070815.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 54
  • P1080136.jpg
    P1080136.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Very nice photos. What's your camera/housing setup?
Thanks;

We too loved the Komba volcano. Your photos were pretty spectacular!

Kev, good report, did you think the different visiting months contributed to the varying vis? How did alor compare to your last trip..was it png?

Wisnu,
We dived on 1 side of the volcano so was very close. During the evening we travelled to the face where the eruptions were happening. I would guess the boat was about 1/2 mile from the volcano. Rocks, magma were flowing down this side. The volcano is less active these days. I was told that it was more active several years ago.

Froggie,
I have a GH2 in a Nauticam housing(see my signature line for details)

Gav,
My last trip to Alor was during Aug & viss was much better. Not sure if we were just lucky then or whether viss is better in Aug (Similar to North komodo ??).My last trip on the Damai was to komodo. Komodo is still the best diving in Indonesia IMHO. PNG was at the start of the year. Better reefs but not so good for macro/muck.

Back
Top Bottom