Turks and Caicos, Whales in Feb/March ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cephalo

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
On my recent trip to Turks and Caicos (Provo) i dove with several operators. They mentioned whales in Feb/March. However when I asked for details they seemed "iffy". I got answers ranging from "your for sure see them and most likely the boat will stop and you can jump in" to " you may see some while on the boat but getting in the water is not allowed" to "you won't see them in the water but you will hear them".
Any first hand honest experiences?
Thanks

Having lived here for 7 years I can confirm it is pure chance!! Sometimes you see them sometimes you don't. I would not count on seeing them but if you do it is a huge bonus. They are seen down at West caicos, French Cay but more commonly off Grand Turk and Salt Cay. I have never had a good in water encounter with them but I know many people who have had amazing times with mothers and calf's etc etc.

Salt Cay for sure during Jan/Feb/March. Stayed there last week and loved it. Too early for whales but do dolphins count? Swam with 5 after our second dive and the video to prove it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I've had experiences with whales in Turks in Caicos.
From Provo, while diving over at West Caicos we could really hear them. Then, after our dives one day a mother and calf was interested in our boat and did circles around it for several minutes. It was a real thrill.

But, for potential in-water experience, you want to go to Salt Cay. We had a half-hour in water experience with mother and calf that we'll never forget. Unfortunately, I just have a cheap old digital camera, but here is a video I shot Amazing humpback whale swim in Salt Cay, Turks and Caicos - YouTube
The water was quite rough that day as a storm had gone through over the previous couple of days. So, visibility wasn't the best either. But, still one of the best Valentine's Days I've ever had! Totally love the small island feel of Salt Cay too. We stayed at Castaway on the North Beach. It was fantastic.

Hi - the whales are here and being spotted - so we are not allowed to let you get in the water with the whales unless we are licensed as these are mainly the mothers and calfs and as far as i am aware non of the dive operators etc on Provo are. We are allowed to approach them so you can see them from the boat but we are limited on how close we can get to them...

I have been very lucky and have encounted them underwater every year but i know people who have not seen one underwater in 6 years of working here - it is luck of the draw....

Salt Cay have a researcher who can take you out and you can get in and snorkel with them or you can go on the live aboards ( Aggressor or Explorer) who do week long snorkel whale trips at the Silver Banks ( just off the Dominican Republic) at this time of year.

So people arnt being evasive - just dont want to mislead - if you want more info feel free to email me

I saw one underwater while diving West Caicos when I worked there. But it is pure luck of the draw. The best place to see them is Silver Banks.

Bryan

Last edited:
As Bryan mentioned Silver Banks is the place to be. I recommend and book this group.

Calm Whales, Calm Seas

We can see the humpback whales here in Dominican Republic now too between January 15 and March 15.
The area around Samana (the north coast) is their mating place so nobody is allowed to dive there. But for the past couple years we got them here on the south around Bayahibe as well. Our clients saw a mother and a baby last year while getting ready for the dive, so they just jumped in with snorkels and observed quietly. Haven't seen any this season yet, but it's still early, we have couple months to go. As many above said it's a pure luck.
Our friend , a professional UW photographer, organized a private trip to Silver banks to take pictures of the whales last year and said it was amazing.

hi guys
the best place to see the mighty humpback whales is the silver banks
there are only 3 livaboard boats that go there sun dancer (chartered by jean) turks & Caicos Aggressor 11 ( run by Aggressor fleet) and turks and caicos explorer ( tom liquid diving adventures is his company i think) each boat takes a max 20 guest aggressor takes 18
XXXX REMEMBER THESE ARE WILD ANIMALS!!!! NOT OCEAN WORLD OR SEA WORLD!! nothing is garanteeded!!!
the trips run from porta plata ,dom republic 89 mile trip out to silver bank 9 hrs travel 2 trips per day on small boats the main vessel stays mored up (all 3 boats are within 800ft of each other) you track the whales for a suitable encounter (if they want to play with you!) theese whales are amazing when you are in the water with them eye to eye the calfs can get very naughty!!! kids!!!!just soooo playful! encounters can be 5 mins - 8hrs!! it DOES NOT MATTER!!!! it is an amazing experience!!!! BUT some whales do not want to play!!!!! you will not be able to get in the water with them!!!! so may be some day you will be just floating around looking at amazing topside action!
this is a limited lifetime experience simply amazing!!! the places book up very very fast!!!!
Enjoy what ever encounters you have!

Back
Top Bottom