2 weeks in Tulamben too much ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubamonica

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi have booked two weeks in Tulamben but we think is a bit too much. We still have a couple of days to change the booking. Please advice.
thanks
monica

I think two weeks might be a little long. I normally go for 4-7 days Tulamben is a very small town, maybe two places to eat, one street. There are several dive sites in the area, a few more easily accessable by fishing boat. If you enjoy remote quite places, macro & photography then it shouldn't be hard to stay entertained, but you might do well to base a week out of Padangbai for diversity.

Don't miss doing at least one sunrise and a night dive on the wreck!

I could easily spend two weeks there, but perhaps consider a split with Menjangan. Mimpi is nice.

Two weeks is never too long to spend in Tulamben.Staying that long will allow you to relax and enjoy Tulamben and the diving in your own time.plenty of time to dive the wreck at various times and many other parts of the bay and you can just hire tanks and dive as much and as long as you like.From here you can then arrange to go to other good places not far away.like Kubu,seraya,Amed,Japanese wreck and the new wreck in the area.You can rent a bike and enjoy the lovely scenery around Tulamben.Plenty of options where to stay and no matter where you stay,you can still have your own personal guide from outside and dive when you want and just with your guide.Anthing else just ask or PM

Too much for me. I'd split the time with Padang Bai or Menjangan, or both. Or pick two dive destinations for maybe five days each, and spend the rest of the time exploring in Ubud.

Two weeks is maybe too long there. When I went there for 3 weeks, I spent one week in Tulamben, one week in Nusa Lembongan and one week in Gili Trawagan. The best places for me were Tulamben and Nusa Lembongan. From Sanur it is 45 minutes trips so worth looking at it :)

Two weeks is never too long to spend in Tulamben.Staying that long will allow you to relax and enjoy Tulamben and the diving in your own time.plenty of time to dive the wreck at various times and many other parts of the bay and you can just hire tanks and dive as much and as long as you like.From here you can then arrange to go to other good places not far away.like Kubu,seraya,Amed,Japanese wreck and the new wreck in the area.You can rent a bike and enjoy the lovely scenery around Tulamben.Plenty of options where to stay and no matter where you stay,you can still have your own personal guide from outside and dive when you want and just with your guide.Anthing else just ask or PM

It is very quiet, rural and perhaps one of the more authentic parts of bali. Peaceful and tucked away from most of the touts.

There is just very little night life or diversity, a few tiny little stores for basic needs, a few places to eat, not much else. If you are interested in local culture, rural life and just want to chill, then it does become more interesting for a longer period. Especially for an independent creative adventurous traveler. A motorbike ride up around Seraya, a hike on Seraya, day trips to other diving areas in fishing boats, and random dive exploitation along the coast to the west is possible with a car/driver. It's very interest to visit and eat with a local family, and join celebrations at the temple. Some of the dusty farm roads are interesting to explore, the volcano is picturesque, there are a few nice black sand beaches. Last I went there were no ATM's so must bring cash.

I do not get bored of diving the wreck and some of the other near by sites as they are always changing. But I'd imagine many people would get bored after a week or so as tourist amenities/activities are limited outside the dive resorts. My favorite part is to bring your own partner and dive whenever you want, or just hire a private guide. I love waking up every morning to a fresh supply of tanks on my front porch :).

Agree, last few days are well spend exploring Ubud.

Last edited:
I'd definitely split my time between Tulamben and Lembongan, which are so different in terms of diving and cover the best of Bali has to offer. Tulamben for macro and Nusa Penida for big fish, manta rays and amazing corals.
I have never stayed more than 5 days in Tulamben, though I reckon it might be a little short and never could do all the sites I wished to dive and go back to.
A week sounds nice : Seraya area deserves 2 days for a photo buff, the area between the wreck and coral garden is also good for 2 full days (the Liberty slope is probably better than Seraya for macro), it leaves you about 3 days to cover Kubu, Batu Kelebit the drop off area.

Nusa Penida is totally different and from my perpective should be done from Lembongan not the Bali/mainland operations. There are sites where the mainland operations seldom take you. More over Lembongan dive centers are more flexible on schedules, they can wait for the right moment to get to a site or even swap it for another spot if they assess it isn't optimal.

Personnally I wasn't impressed with Menjangan area, a bit barren with fishlife compared to Nusa Penida sites.

You can do lots of diving in Tulamben and not get bored. I don't bore of it after 3 years of living in Bali.
The problem you may have is with life outside the water. Only a couple of restaurants. One bar. No ATM. Once you've had a few massages and a couple of beers this may get boring.
As others said I would recommend splitting your time with another area. Menhangan would not bring much more outside the water, but the diving is not bad. Lembongan is an island with surfing spots and great diving.
Padang bai is a traditional village slowly converting to tourism. It caters to divers and travelers looking for a more genuine Balinese destinations than the South of the island. Diving here is great and you can enjoy dive sites around Nusa Penida/Lembongan along with Padangbai, Gili Tepekong/Mimpang. Best of both worlds as you can enjoy mantas, sharks, turtles, macro and great corals.
You're welcome to send me an email if you'd like more info

I think two weeks might be a little long. I normally go for 4-7 days Tulamben is a very small town, maybe two places to eat, one street. There are several dive sites in the area, a few more easily accessable by fishing boat. If you enjoy remote quite places, macro & photography then it shouldn't be hard to stay entertained, but you might do well to base a week out of Padangbai for diversity.

Don't miss doing at least one sunrise and a night dive on the wreck!

Thanks for your reply!

---------- Post added January 2nd, 2013 at 05:16 AM ----------

I could easily spend two weeks there, but perhaps consider a split with Menjangan. Mimpi is nice.

Thanks for your reply !

---------- Post added January 2nd, 2013 at 05:16 AM ----------

Thanks for your reply !

---------- Post added January 2nd, 2013 at 05:17 AM ----------

Too much for me. I'd split the time with Padang Bai or Menjangan, or both. Or pick two dive destinations for maybe five days each, and spend the rest of the time exploring in Ubud.

Thanks for your reply !

---------- Post added January 2nd, 2013 at 05:18 AM ----------

Two weeks is maybe too long there. When I went there for 3 weeks, I spent one week in Tulamben, one week in Nusa Lembongan and one week in Gili Trawagan. The best places for me were Tulamben and Nusa Lembongan. From Sanur it is 45 minutes trips so worth looking at it :)

Thanks for your reply !

---------- Post added January 2nd, 2013 at 05:20 AM ----------

Thanks for your reply !

---------- Post added January 2nd, 2013 at 05:21 AM ----------

You can do lots of diving in Tulamben and not get bored. I don't bore of it after 3 years of living in Bali.
The problem you may have is with life outside the water. Only a couple of restaurants. One bar. No ATM. Once you've had a few massages and a couple of beers this may get boring.
As others said I would recommend splitting your time with another area. Menhangan would not bring much more outside the water, but the diving is not bad. Lembongan is an island with surfing spots and great diving.
Padang bai is a traditional village slowly converting to tourism. It caters to divers and travelers looking for a more genuine Balinese destinations than the South of the island. Diving here is great and you can enjoy dive sites around Nusa Penida/Lembongan along with Padangbai, Gili Tepekong/Mimpang. Best of both worlds as you can enjoy mantas, sharks, turtles, macro and great corals.
You're welcome to send me an email if you'd like more info

Thanks for your reply !

---------- Post added January 2nd, 2013 at 05:22 AM ----------

I'd definitely split my time between Tulamben and Lembongan, which are so different in terms of diving and cover the best of Bali has to offer. Tulamben for macro and Nusa Penida for big fish, manta rays and amazing corals.
I have never stayed more than 5 days in Tulamben, though I reckon it might be a little short and never could do all the sites I wished to dive and go back to.
A week sounds nice : Seraya area deserves 2 days for a photo buff, the area between the wreck and coral garden is also good for 2 full days (the Liberty slope is probably better than Seraya for macro), it leaves you about 3 days to cover Kubu, Batu Kelebit the drop off area.

Nusa Penida is totally different and from my perpective should be done from Lembongan not the Bali/mainland operations. There are sites where the mainland operations seldom take you. More over Lembongan dive centers are more flexible on schedules, they can wait for the right moment to get to a site or even swap it for another spot if they assess it isn't optimal.

Personnally I wasn't impressed with Menjangan area, a bit barren with fishlife compared to Nusa Penida sites.

Thanks for your reply !

---------- Post added January 2nd, 2013 at 05:23 AM ----------

Thanks for your reply !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom