Couples Swept Away Jamaica (CSA) January 2012 Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rooster In Ohio

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My wife and I just returned from 10 days at CSA and wanted to share our thoughts with anyone considering a vacation here. This was our third trip to Jamaica, first time diving, and first time staying at a Couples resort. We have no affiliation with the travel or diving industry.

CSA is an adults only, couples only, all inclusive (including day boat diving) in Negril, Jamaica. The dive shop is located on the beach and dives are conducted from a very modern 42' purpose built dive boat with fresh water washdown, two rear ladders, a camera table, and a large green DAN box prominenly displayed (I did not ask to see if the box was acutally stocked). Basic gear is available at no additional cost (new looking Sherwood regs, basic backpack BCD, masks, full foot fins, etc). Wetsuits and lockers were available on site for rental (lockers were modern, plastic, large, and $20USD a week with key lock - we both brought all of our gear - BPW, ponies, long hose, etc. etc. and there was plenty of room at one diver per locker). 80ft aluminum tanks were standard and 100ft aluminum tanks were made available at no extra charge (I used one on the deeper dives as I am a big guy). All tanks were yoke but the shop has DIN adaptors. The compressor is on site and appeared modern but did not have a DIN whip (they filled my 19ft ponies that I brought with me - they are DIN 200 and I had the yoke insert which they used to fill them). Note - you may want to pay attention if you bring a pony - a burst disk went on one of mine during the week and I suspect it was due to over-filling but was not paying attention as someone filled it until it blew (then it had my very full attention!).

NITROX was advertised as being available for an upcharge, marked tanks were present, and I was told an analyzer was present, but the shop was out of oxygen during my entire stay so NITROX was not available and I did not ask the cost. I did not see the analyzer.

Two dives are conducted daily. Six days a week there are two separate dives - one with an 0830 report time and 0900 departure and another with a 1300 report time and 1330 departure. If you do both dives, you leave your gear on the boat, take your empty tank to the shop, and carry a fresh tank out in the afternoon. One day a week (Sunday if I remember correctly) is a traditional two tank dive with a one hour surface interval on the boat. The first dive three days a week (Tu, Th, Su) were reserved to AOW or higher and went to 100 feet (I think I saw 94 at sea floor on one dive). All other dives had an advertised floor of 60 feet but several went a bit deeper (75 or so). All dives were drift dives and were briefed as divemaster led group dives with buddy teams and buddy teams were identified before the dive. I thought the briefings were generally sufficient (max depth, max time at max depth, multi-level profile, max duration of dive, max dive time, etc.). Generally, dives were called once any diver reached 1000psi; however, on at least one dive several DMs were present and one was designated to surface with the first pair that reached 1000psi so the rest of us could maximize our dive and the plan was executed as briefed. I generally found that the two separate dive arrangement ate up too much of the day so we took several afternoons off. Anyone with back/strength issues should note that you are expected to assemble your equipment on a provided tank, carry everything accross the beach and through the water to the boat (3-4 feet deep at the stern), climb the ladder with your gear, and reverse the process at the end of the dive, to include breaking everything down and dunking it (the staff did carry gear for one or two of the older women that clearly were struggling, but it is not like other places where everything is sitting on the boat assembled and ready to go).

As far as the quality of the diving itself, while it was very nice to be wet and warm, do not expect Cozumel or even Cancun. Sealife is small and somewhat far between and most reefs at less than 60 feet were in pretty rough condition. Conditions below 60 feet were better, but it was still considered a significant sighting to see one barracuda or one ray (we saw one eagle ray over 10 dives). I am told someone saw a turtle on two different dives and a lemon shark on one dive, but I did not see them. Vis was fair (worse on the non-advanced dives as many divers spend a fair amount of time kicking up the bottom). Water temperature was in the high 70s at depth and some dove in trunks but I was comfortable in a .5mm skin and most wore some sort of shorty. I dove each dive with my wife/buddy so there were no issues there but dive/buddy skills ran the spectrum. The DMs were generally attentive but they also spent a great deal of time harvesting lion fish for lunch/dinner.

As for the balance of the resort, we both found it to be very good to excellent. I travel internationally at least a couple of times a year for business and usually tack on a couple of days for fun and we take at least one all-inclusive type vacation each year in the winter (usually Mexico). Based on that frame of reference, we both thought our time at CSA was exceptionally restful, the staff was significantly more warm and helpful than we were used to (firm no tipping policy - very nice!!), and the tennor of the place and the guests was generally much lower key (we have seen shoving matches in Mexico - we heard strong language once at CSA). The food at CSA provided something for everyone - from hamburgers and hot dogs to pizza to curried goat to a fillet or lamb that I would put up against any $100 a plate restaurant you might want to name. The rooms were very comfortable and we opted for a class of room that did not have a television but had a large balcony area with a hammock and really enjoyed it. Sheets and linens were soft and housekeeping did a great job. There are certainly cheaper ways to go, but we thought it offered great value.

In sum, it was a really nice vacation and we got to do 10 dives. If you want a dive-specific vacation, this may not be for you based on the quality of the reefs and sea life. If you want a really nice, relaxing, pampering vacation (or athletic - CSA has extensive athletic/tennis facilities) and want to do some diving at the same time, I recommend it. We will probably go back - after two or three dive-focused trips.

PM me with any questions.

Respectfully,

db

Last edited:
An excellent report, a model for which many could follow! Well done and thanks!

In sum, it was a really nice vacation and we got to do 10 dives. If you want a dive-specific vacation, this may not be for you based on the quality of the reefs and sea life. If you want a really nice, relaxing, pampering vacation (or athletic - CSA has extensive athletic/tennis facilities) and want to do some diving at the same time, I recommend it. We will probably go back - after two or three dive-focused trips.

:hm: After your profile's "dive count" exceeds 50, we'll just see about that prediction! :wink:

:hm: After your profile's "dive count" exceeds 50, we'll just see about that prediction! :wink:

Ha! I omitted the fact that my wife proposed to me a couple of hundred yards down the beach some 14 years ago (thus ruining my plan to propose to her at dinner on the cliffs the next night - she had absolutely no idea!!), so there are non-aquatic factors at play here. I certainly wouldn't return if the quality of the diving was my only or main concern (same with Cancun - but where else can I find CocoBongo??!!).

I went there on my first dives after certification, got my deep cert there, and after 50+ dives and seeing an abundance of sea life, and healthy reefs. I would go back, and plan to one of these days. The dives were very relaxing (which is why I love to dive) the staff was better than any that I've dove with (no tipping allowed). Places I've been, North and South coast of Oahu, Key Largo, West Palm Beach, and Freeport Bahamas. Seen Volkswagon sized groupers, plenty of reef and other sharks (no shark feedings) to many other eels, turtles, and fish to name. At CSA it isn't the quality of the dives, but the quality of the service!!

I went there on my first dives after certification, got my deep cert there, and after 50+ dives and seeing an abundance of sea life, and healthy reefs. I would go back, and plan to one of these days. The dives were very relaxing (which is why I love to dive) the staff was better than any that I've dove with (no tipping allowed). Places I've been, North and South coast of Oahu, Key Largo, West Palm Beach, and Freeport Bahamas. Seen Volkswagon sized groupers, plenty of reef and other sharks (no shark feedings) to many other eels, turtles, and fish to name. At CSA it isn't the quality of the dives, but the quality of the service!!

We go back to the Negril area for some of the same reasons you mention, and I can assure everyone that I have way more than 50 dives. My wife/dive buddy and I were married in Negril in 2003, went back in 2008, and have already booked for 2013 (May). And it's just not all about the diving, Jamaica is a wonderful island for land tours and just relaxing.

Thanks to the OP for the great trip report!

We were there in Sept 2012, and can attest to how wonderful the experience is at CSA. Diving is not the best in the world, but the service and atmosphere definitely makes up for it... And if it means keeping the boss happy and diving with me, then I'll do my warm water diving there and keep a happy home... For the haters out there, you don't and won't know if you don't go...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom