Pro/Con of Oceanic B.U.D.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rhwestfall

Woof!
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just curious from the folks using them, what they think.

---------- Post added January 31st, 2013 at 01:03 PM ----------

5 hours, 49 views, and no comments? Hmmmmm...... Anybody?

My primary computer is an air integrated VT3. I dive a GEO 2 and a SPG as backup. I like this combo and prefer to be able to see my backup on my wrist. I dive the DSAT algorithm the 2 computers are perfectily synchonized.

The BUD looks like it would make a perfectly good backup. I'd guess it would match other Oceanic computers running either algorithm, DSAT or PZ+. I don't know how well it would match other brands/algorithms. One thing is certain, it's reasonably inexpensive.

Mine has been a perfect backup device. I have never HAD to look at it. When I have it matches my Aeris Elite T3. To date I don't have a con.

My B.U.D. usually just stays clipped to my shoulder D-ring. I look at it at the start of the dive just to see if it is showing correct depth and NDL time...then I forget about it.

On January 2nd by Atomic Cobalt went crazy because of a firmware bug that failed to change the year. The computer became ultra, ultra conservative ( in deco 5 minutes @ 60 feet). I looked at my B.U.D. and it had the correct info. That was dive 1 of 4 that day.

The B.U.D. was used the remainder of the dives while the Cobalt became an expensive SPG for the day.

Very happy I had the B.U.D....but I also have tables as triple backup.

with the BUD you can't download the dive data to your log on your computer.

It also does not have a backlit display, or audible alarms, or air integration. It does not even have a wrist strap! Those are the features for your primary dive computer. This is sold, marketed and priced as a backup.

It ascaled down version of the geo computer and you can buy a full computer for thesame price as the bud.

Plus what these guy's said,

It also does not have a backlit display, or audible alarms, or air integration. It does not even have a wrist strap! Those are the features for your primary dive computer. This is sold, marketed and as a backup.
A backup computer should be good for a day or a week ofdiving or the month it take for your primary to get back and this just isn'tthat.

you can buy a full computer for the same price as the bud.

enlighten me... a I am looking at $150+/- for a NIB, non-grey market B.U.D.

---------- Post added February 1st, 2013 at 07:08 AM ----------

A backup computer should be good for a day or a week ofdiving or the month it take for your primary to get back and this just isn'tthat.
seems some have had other experiences...

---------- Post added February 1st, 2013 at 07:10 AM ----------

If I can on my primary, does that matter? What does that have to do with safely ending a dive?

About the only "flaw" I can find is not getting "average depth" from the device for table verification.... Curious about durability, build quality, etc.

Had one and sold it. Not my cup of tea. No history after the dive to compare with primary and it locked up a couple on dives. That was enough to get rid of it! Dive buddy still has hers and she likes it.

No history after the dive to compare with primary

Interesting, literature says it logs last 10 dives, up to 10 hours IIRC..

it locked up a couple on dives.

define "locked up" - what was the dive profile? did you possibly violate a NDL or something because it was running a different algorithm than your main? My PUCK did that to me when my main DC said "good to go"...

Just curious.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom