Halcyon Infinity Backplate question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vilinsky

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just purchased a brand new Halcyon Infinity BP/W system with a standard stainless steel backplate, 40lb eclipse wing with quick cinch system. I would like to also purchase a Aluminim standard size back plate, do I need to buy Halcyon? Or is their another manufacturer I can purchase from that would be comprobable to Hacyon and cheaper that would fit their wing and quick cinch system seamlessly without any problem?

From my understanding the wing can go to any or almost any backplate but the quick cinch system only fits the Halcyon plates.

The cinch system should also fit the scubapro backplates, but they are about the same price as the halcyon

You may want to call around to see if any generic plates are patterned after the Halcyon plate. I think there was a thread a while back that the old Salvo plates were patterned after the Halcyon plates and would fit a cinch system. Alternatively you could probably drill out an AL plate to fit the system.

If you want to move the cinche to your new plate, I think Halcyon is pretty much the only choice. Not only the hole patter needs to fit, the band angle of the plate also need to match. Scubapro plate is made by Halcyon, so pratically the same plate except with more holes, it may fit, but why risk, SP plate isn't any cheaper than a H plate.

For what it's worth, I really reccommend against moving your cinch-system from one plate to the other. Each of the bolts come with a dab of thread lock on the threads to aid in the prevention of losening. By removing these bolts your defeat that thread lock and you put under wear and tear on all the components. It's really only a nominal one time price to add a cinch to your AL plate and I encourage you to do so.

According to a past post from Hollis, their plates are supposed to allow adjustability of the straps from the way they are cut. Also I there are some other threads about adding adjustablity using a Agir product and some DIY solutions.

Back
Top Bottom