Need help choosing a live-aboard in SoCal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bethn1210

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all!

I'm looking for a live-aboard dive operation or dive opportunity in the general area of Long Beach in late-March/April. Both me and my dive buddy are experienced divers (I'm a DM and he's an AI). We'd be bringing our own gear out, except tanks and weights since we have to fly to get to CA. We don't need anything fancy, good diving is more important to us than the accomodations. Any operations that we should look into or places to avoid? We're hoping to try diving somewhere in the Channel Islands-any areas that we should specifically look to go?

Appreciate any advice!

Beth

Peace Dive Boat out of Ventura. They specialize in multi-days liveaboard AND they have Nitrox.

The Horizon in San Diego is also a multi-day liveaboard and has Nitrox too. This one is a big boat, which is nice to move around with. However my favorite multi-days boat is still the Peace: hot tub and the best food.

There are a couple of multi-days boats in the Long Beach/Los Angeles area but I don't really prefer them.

Do you have to go out of Long Beach? Because I would also recommend the Peace. I've been out on that boat for day trips and for several three-day liveaboard trips, and I simply can't say enough good things about it. The crew is experienced, professional, and friendly. The boat layout is efficient and spacious. The bunks are bunks, but the polarfleece blankets are lovely, and the food on the Peace is good, although my beloved chef Joe is no longer with them.

Anybody who has been on SB a while knows that, if fnfalman and I agree about something, it's worth sitting up and taking notice. :)

We don't have to go out of Long Beach, but would prefer that area because we're also visiting family on this trip (family lives in Hermosa Beach). But, like I said, quality of diving is most important to us so if we have to roadtrip a little north for a better experience, we'll do it!

In the LA/Long Beach area there are only a couple of boats that do multi-day trips:

1. Great Escape - it's not the norm for them to do multi-days but sometimes they do: large boat with lots of room and great food, but no Nitrox and like I said before, it's not the norm for them to do multi-days.

2. Sand Dollar - has Nitrox and sometimes does multi-days trips but not always.

Essentially for multi-days trips, it's best to check out the Peace in Ventura, the Truth Aquatics boats in Santa Barbara, and the Horizon in San Diego. The other boats sometimes does multi-days trips but not always.

Food for thought: Try diving a different boat & location each day. Lots to choose from San Diego to Long Beach to Ventura. Wrecks, rigs, Kelp, Catalina, Channel Islands. Spend the nights in our beach cities.
Good Divin

Food for thought: Try diving a different boat & location each day.

Indeed. And most of the boats don't mind if you sleep on board the night before either so that would save some hotel money.

I agree on the multi-location idea. You can start in San Diego and do the wrecks or the kelp beds. Drive up a couple hours and do some diving at Catalina (Sundiver runs most Weds and Fridays out of Long Beach), and then drive to Ventura and dive the Northern Islands on the Peace or the Raptor. Depending on the weekend, Truth Aquatics might have a 2-3 day trip out of Santa Barbara. Heck, I might need to do this!:D

Back
Top Bottom