Maumere?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boletus1973

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi guys, we are in indo from 14aug to 11sep and after 3 years of diving(not only) trips to bali(+ komodo)we are planning something different..
we are in komodo on a LOB the first tend days of september... but before komodo we are thinking to do a tour of flores instead of tulamben or lembongan...
someone have been to maumere ? in terms of diving its worth the visit instead of tulamben or lembongan? 7 days there is too much? we are thinking also alor but its more expensive and we dont know... ahh... i'm an underwater photog.... :wink:

thanks for the advice...

bye bye

fabio!

I understand you have 2 weeks in August?
If you start in Maumere I would recommend Ankermie Diving with Ankermi Happy Dive in Maumere, Flores, Indonesia: Dive center and Bungalows
This is a small resort belonging to a Swiss-Indonesian couple. There is excellent critter diving in front of the resort, also a Japanese wreck and not so bad reef diving further out. They can help you renting a car to cross Flores from Maumere to Labuhan Bajo. If you want to see the most interesting highlights on the way (Kelimutu, trad. villages) reckon with 4 days for the trip. There are only basic hotels on the way. Bring enough rupes. You will have to pay everything in cash.
Alor ist also excellent diving. Alor Divers is good choice but much more expensive than Ankermi in Maumere. It might be a bit difficult to reach Labuhan Bajo from there. You might have to overnight somewhere (Kupang) on the way.
Some underwater footage from Maumere: https://vimeo.com/groups/divingindonesia/albums/5738 and from Alor: https://vimeo.com/groups/divingindonesia/albums/5676

cheers,
Michael

Hi boletus1973,
I did some extensive research on Alor options before booking my summer 2012 trip there -- for summary see http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/in...my-homework-now-some-important-questions.html

Re. how the diving in Alor compares, I though highdesert's trip report captured all the key details. You will also find my own brief summary of my liveaboard trip "East of Flores" at the end of that thread.

We did a two dives in Maumere at the end of my 2012 LOB which started and ended there. One site was great, one site was still obviously in the process of recovering from tsunami damage. Interesting region but I am not sure I would stay a week there. (If you are in Maumere however definitely do an ikat weaving full day cultural tour - it is excellent).

I have done a week in Lembongan and several weeks in Tulamben over the years. I would definitely suggest Tulamben over Lembongan. I did not find the Lembongan diving as rich as Tulamben, although Manta Point and Crystal Bay can be wonderful (both can also be dove from Tulamben!). You could potentially also hit Menjangan and Secret Bay based from Tulamben, if you haven't dove them already.

Or what about Lembeh? I would choose that over both Tulamben and Lembongan. More time for domestic transit needed however.

Much better photo opps in Tulamben or Lembeh than Lembongan IMO

Hi guys, we are in indo from 14aug to 11sep and after 3 years of diving(not only) trips to bali(+ komodo)we are planning something different..
we are in komodo on a LOB the first tend days of september... but before komodo we are thinking to do a tour of flores instead of tulamben or lembongan...
someone have been to maumere ? in terms of diving its worth the visit instead of tulamben or lembongan? 7 days there is too much? we are thinking also alor but its more expensive and we dont know... ahh... i'm an underwater photog.... :wink:

Thanks guys for the infos... now i'm waiting some reply for both.. alor and maumere!:D

@mbode: i think two days ago i read all your blog... very interesting!! yes.. you understand.. i have 16 days before the LOB in komodo... now i try to do both destinations.. i hope 8 days in alor and 4 to maumere plus the tour to labuan bajo...:wink:

@natasha: thanks for the links... i agree with you, i do a week in lembongan and several in tulamben too.... i prefer tulamben but lembongan can be very good too! :wink:

bye bye

I had a very bad experience with diving with Happy Dive in Ankermie. A great place to dive, but you should bring your own equipment (which we didn't), we had troubles with failing equipment. Afterwards we got in trouble with the owner of the place who started threatening us and our families. I would opt for another place when diving at Maumere...

Thanks guys for the infos... now i'm waiting some reply for both.. alor and maumere!:D

@mbode: i think two days ago i read all your blog... very interesting!! yes.. you understand.. i have 16 days before the LOB in komodo... now i try to do both destinations.. i hope 8 days in alor and 4 to maumere plus the tour to labuan bajo...:wink:

@natasha: thanks for the links... i agree with you, i do a week in lembongan and several in tulamben too.... i prefer tulamben but lembongan can be very good too! :wink:

bye bye
I've been to Alor and Maumere, and as a photographer, and presumably someone who loves muck diving, Alor shouldnt be missed and is superior to Maumere. I'd put Alor not too far below Lembeh and Ambon even. What you see is going to depend on who you dive with there...La Petit Kepa is outstanding, right next to most of the muck sites, and dives those sites every day. You mention cost being an option..I'd be surprised if they are not actually lower than any place you've looked at in Maumere or elsewhere. Alor also has nice walls, etc., not just muck. As for Maumere, I'll echo Nics comment about Ankermi..I had a miserable experience with them..a better option may be Sea World Club, where I stayed while diving with Ankermi.

If it came down to a choice Tulamben/Lembongan vs Maumere, do Tulamben/Lembongan--id say that for any time of year but especially when you're going as its mola mola season

I've been to Alor and Maumere, and as a photographer, and presumably someone who loves muck diving, Alor shouldnt be missed and is superior to Maumere. I'd put Alor not too far below Lembeh and Ambon even. What you see is going to depend on who you dive with there...La Petit Kepa is outstanding, right next to most of the muck sites, and dives those sites every day. You mention cost being an option..I'd be surprised if they are not actually lower than any place you've looked at in Maumere or elsewhere. Alor also has nice walls, etc., not just muck. As for Maumere, I'll echo Nics comment about Ankermi..I had a miserable experience with them..a better option may be Sea World Club, where I stayed while diving with Ankermi.

If it came down to a choice Tulamben/Lembongan vs Maumere, do Tulamben/Lembongan--id say that for any time of year but especially when you're going as its mola mola season

@nics & ocdiver1 thanks for the tips... :) i've already booked alor and maumere.... we do 8days at la petite kepa and after we go to maumere for 5days at sea world club! :D then we do a little tour of flores island(4days) maumere to labuan bajo... 9day lob in komodo and back to bali for 2 days before take the plane for go back in italy... many flights in indo...:shocked2: we hope to survive!!
bye bye..
fabio

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom