New Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Miketyler

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey everyone,

My wife and I just recently got certified in Honduras totally amazing experience. I have always wanted to dive and finally got to do it, We are PADI scuba diver certified to a max depth of 40 ft, She wanted to get some shallow dives in before moving on to deeper waters. We have 4 dives in and feel pretty comfortable about it and was wondering if there is any dive shops that are around the Barrie area that do these kinds of dives any recommendations? would like to get in some dives this summer before going on vacation again for our OWD course.

Not that the scuba police live around here, but the Scuba Diver certification theoretically entitles you to dive under direct supervision of a dive professional. Make sure that is clear to anybody that you buddy up with. It may or may not affect their willingness to dive with you. For what it is worth, no matter what certification you have, you always have the ability (and requirement) to control your dives and the depth to which you go. You and your wife never have to go deeper than you are comfortable with. Cold water diving can be awesome but will take some getting used to. I certified in DR but was quick to love cold water diving. Hopefully we find two more cold water divers to buddy up with in you two. Be safe and enjoy always.

Welcome to the sport and to ScubaBoard. Being from the GTA, you can also join Ontario Diving . It is a forum very similar to, but much smaller and more Ontario focused, ScubaBoard. Both are great forums, depending on what you seek.

Hey everyone,

My wife and I just recently got certified in Honduras totally amazing experience. I have always wanted to dive and finally got to do it, We are PADI scuba diver certified to a max depth of 40 ft, She wanted to get some shallow dives in before moving on to deeper waters. We have 4 dives in and feel pretty comfortable about it and was wondering if there is any dive shops that are around the Barrie area that do these kinds of dives any recommendations? would like to get in some dives this summer before going on vacation again for our OWD course.

Hi Mike,
Welcome to the world of scuba diving addiction.
I just got back from Roataan, island off honduras, just two weeks ago. Was great diving there.
I would suggest you and your wife join a dive club, there are some in the barrie area, they do dive excursions, also offer upgrading to your skills and are beneficial for anyone who is looking for a great dive. Also helps get discount rates on dive trips and so on.

I currently live in Barrie, 10 minutes north in Minesing there's a good dive shop there (Tims Diving and Supplies). The owners nice but may try and talk you into a full OW cert, though to his own credit I think I'd talk you into one too.

Thanks guys for the info, I emailed Simcoe diving and they do dives that fit our abilities and would also upgrade us to open water for 200 dollars each so thats not bad but we are planning to head back to Roatan next February. The shop we got certified at said they can do it for 100 each so we might just wait until then.. Does anyone have any feedback on Simcoe Divers? And caribean-ted I may have been with you on that plane we went down from February 21 to the 28 and dove with TGI..

Also is there a big difference in diving fresh water to sea water? in the summertime is it still cold? Sorry for the questions just wanting to know what to expect.

Mike

Yes it is still cold when comparing to the tropics. Depending on the body of water, expect a max of 70° on the surface and possibly 50° at 40'. Now, this is different for every body of water so these are just rough numbers but they will give you an idea. Depth, currents, wind, thermoclines.......these can all play a part in reality. Cold water = (to a different degree for ache diver) more equipment, less mobility, more weight, shorter dive, less color, less wildlife when compared to warm tropical dives. But they rock none the less IMO.

Thanks guys for the info, I emailed Simcoe diving and they do dives that fit our abilities and would also upgrade us to open water for 200 dollars each so thats not bad but we are planning to head back to Roatan next February. The shop we got certified at said they can do it for 100 each so we might just wait until then.. Does anyone have any feedback on Simcoe Divers? And caribean-ted I may have been with you on that plane we went down from February 21 to the 28 and dove with TGI..

Also is there a big difference in diving fresh water to sea water? in the summertime is it still cold? Sorry for the questions just wanting to know what to expect.

Mike
Sorry Mike, I was there Feb 25 to mar 4th. dove with infinity bay, and mayan divers last two days there. Had 3 days of crappy weather near the end. Loved the reefs, they were awsome!!! I will defintatly go again.
Do yourself a favor, get your certificate here, do some diving here, get advanced if you can, at least you will have more options in where you can dive and what you can see. The more you dive, the more comfortable you become. And of course addicted LOL

Back
Top Bottom