Oceanic vs ScubaPro vs Mares BCDs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Merlin1392

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm looking for experiences with the following BCD's. If you own one of the three, please let me know your likes, and dislikes. Oceanic Excursion 2, ScubaPro SeaHawk, or Mares Hybrid AT. I've narrowed my search to these three. Thanks in advance for your help.

You did say if you tried on any of the BCD, But you should try them on first to see what fits your best. I'm a scuba flow hater but I would go with the Scuba pro bcd it a nice looking BCD and I like the swivel shoulder strap and that's even though back in the day they said you would die using a back inflated bcd.

I have tried them on, but not with Dive Gear. It's more difficult to get a good "feel" in winter jacket and clothing as opposed to wetsuit and actually diving! It's been a challenge to try them on in a reasonable timeframe as well (They are all at different stores and parts of town). Experiences are only part of the process, but if you had one and liked it or didn't I would want to know more.

I'm looking for experiences with the following BCD's. If you own one of the three, please let me know your likes, and dislikes. Oceanic Excursion 2, ScubaPro SeaHawk, or Mares Hybrid AT. I've narrowed my search to these three. Thanks in advance for your help.

I have not tried Mares but I have used the Oceanic Excursion v1 which is an awesome BC, the Scubapro KH which is also a very nice back inflated, the great Zeagle Ranger and now own the Oceanic Outrigger that I use frequently along with my Dive Rite BPW setup. I can definitely recommend Oceanic, Zeagle and Scubapro from personal use and most everyone will agree they all make high quality gear. I don't have personal experience with Mares but I have heard a few people complain about the quality of some of the hardware and plastics, saying they are cheap and break/wear quickly. Either way, it all depends on what you'll be diving most of the time. Are you looking for jacket style? Back Inflated? or BP/W? I'm sure others will chime in, particularly with BPW suggestions.

I own and have owned a number of Oceanic BCs (Excursion, Probe, and Chute2). They are well made and Excursion is quite good and very comfortable. If you are looking for a back inflate BC, before you buy you should look at and try on an AquaLung Balance. Great back inflate, very well made and as good/better that many others. I find Zeagle less functional that others, thought very well made and ScubaPro not worth the price. I handle at least several thousand BCs making tank changes on our charter boat each year and have seen them all. I own Halcyon, DSS, Apek, and DiveRite BPW rigs and dive them all at different times. This is a very complex area, and if you are looking for a BC you should focus on that. BPW/Tech gear is not for everyone.

The ScubaPro SeaHawk is an excellent B.C. It has ample pocket space. It is very comfortable allowing freedom of movement.

The SeaHawk has trim weight pockets and quick release integrated weight pockets.
seahawk-black.jpg

I would definitely try to try on the ScubaPro with a tank on. I've owned more than 10 Knighthawks (I buy and sell a lot of used scuba gear) and the KHs have this thing where the tank shifts down and the weights shift up. I'm usually pretty easy-going about my gear...not to picky....but I could never accept this aspect of the KH. I know you're looking at a SeaHawk but it might have the same thing going on. Otherwise, I loved the KH. SP makes some good stuff, IMO.

I have experience in both Oceanic and Mares BCDs, didnt find any true weak points in either. Only difference is I prefer the Mares for the padding and personal fit. Try them on with tanks and weight and see which one fits your body type the best

Thanks for all the input. I greatly appreciate it. Not to start the great debate of internet versus dive shop purchase, I'm wondering how the dive industry will survive. As mentioned "trying" this BCD with tanks and weights is one of my primary goals prior to purchase. That said, I cannot find a dive shop that stocks them. All can order for me, but if I decide not to buy, need to cover the shops freight costs and restocking fees. They also want a full deposit prior to ordering. The value of the dive shop is advice and the ability to actually try it on and see how it fits me! Scuba.com has a great return policy and if I'm ordering it to try it, why would I not use them (assuming they could get it, which is an issue with Mares)? Here in Michigan, there are only so many shops and they all seem close to the water line. Suggestions?

I'm new here but have been reading the board for a long time. As the name suggests, I only dive around Roatan and the only offical brand shop there is Mares so I got all Mares equipment because of the service factor. If you like all three BCD's, I would look into the one that has an official brand service center closest to where you live and/or dive for convenience and safety. But that's just me.

Back
Top Bottom