Help Identifying Scubapro BC Please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReneB

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
A friend's husband is no longer diving and has offered us some of his gear. I've just posted on the regulator thread a query about a Scubapro regulator and 2nd stage. Accompanying those items is this BC. Can you please help me identify it and tell me if it's worth using? I think it is, as I don't see any issues with it. I've manually inflated the BC to see if it holds air and so far it's fine. All the straps/buckles seem to work.

The person who's selling the equipment is someone that generally takes good care of his stuff, we were told that when it was all put away (about 2-3 years ago) all was working well.

Thanks in advance for your help folks!

(ps -- apologies for not knowing how to rotate images on here)

Attachments

• BCD-front.jpg
    BCD-front.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 89
  • BCD-detail.jpg
    BCD-detail.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 481
  • BCD-back.jpg
    BCD-back.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 74
This is a mid-nineties' variation of a long line of successful full-bodied BCD's. They first appeared in the early 80's as the "Stabilizing Jacket" and are still being sold today as the "Classic".

They're my personal favorites because I find them extremely comfortable, with the trapped air always at the right place: back when diving, shoulder at the surface, and so on. They're also easy to don/un-don, just like a jacket made of cloth, without buckles that get in the way. They can be worn "loose": most of the times, I just use the waist Velcro and don't worry about any straps.

Take a close look at the fabric: if it doesn't delaminate, you're good to go for a long time. Delamination looks somewhat like patches of worn-out material that can sometimes be peeled off.

The current versions are a bit too heavy for travelling, at about 4kg/9lbs. The version you have is about right at 3kg/7lbs, including the AIR2.

The AIR2 you have is a 3rd generation combination octo/inflator: it breathes pretty easy, is convenient, and you get 1 less hose and stage. Great for travelling. Just for the kick of it, ask some random questions with the term AIR2: it usually ends in a blood bath because there're strong proponents as well as opponents. :)

Zung,
Thanks so much for the info. The BCD looks good as in no delamination. It's too small for me, but it fits my son well so we are set for him.

I'm new around here so I will pass on starting any blood baths ... there are far too many things that are really important in the world out there to get folks all upset over something like a BCD ... I know, that's probably bordering on blasphemy, eh? And here I was thinking I was avoiding contention. :)

Cheers!

Between the reg you posted, and this BC, your son should be in quite good gear for diving. This is the identical set-up to my wife's (including the Air2).

Between the reg you posted, and this BC, your son should be in quite good gear for diving. This is the identical set-up to my wife's (including the Air2).

This BC fits my son, but I am not sure if I will end up using the scubapro reg or he will. I guess it depends on what other equipment we end up getting for me, as I don't have a reg/2nd stage nor BC yet.

Though this scubapro BC will work with the scubapro reg as is, whereas if we decide on me using the scubapro reg, then I suppose we'll need to adapt the hoses / connections on the other reg to work with this scubapro BC. We are looking for used equipment so who knows what we'll end up with!

The only hose that will need a change is the inflator. Scubapro AirII uses a slightly bigger connection than a standard inflator hose.

---------- Post added April 10th, 2013 at 12:56 PM ----------

By the way, I use a classic Scubapro stab BC preferentially as well. They provide reliable service, balanced air distribution, head up floating at the surface and are very durable. As long as the seams and valves aren't leaking, you are in business.

Thanks again folks!

@Doctorfish -- the BC looks in great shape. I've had it partially inflated for a few days now and no apparent leakage. One of the other Scubaboard folks mentioned I should look at possible delamination and there's no sign of that. I think we're in business with that BC. Now just to find something for me :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom