BC sizing question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrSam

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
When it comes to sizing, should I focus more on the height or weight aspect on the charts? I know ideally you should base your size on both height and weight, but I am a bit tall for my weight. I am 5'11" at around 155 lbs. Which of the two BC's would work best for me:
1. 5'10"-6' 160-190 lbs
2. 5'7" - 5'10" 150-165

I'll be ordering online and my LDS does not carry the BC's that I am looking into. There is a dive shop about 40 miles away from my home that carries them, so servicing them won't be an issue in the future...I would just like to avoid the 40 mile drive for now.

Hard saying without knowing what kind of BC you are looking at. Generally, I would go with the smaller size. A loose and sloppy fitting BC is no fun.

You have likely read people's advice about backplate/wing/harness systems. Among many other advantages, they are infinitely adjustable.
Zeagle makes BC's with replaceable shoulder straps. For example, can order a size small BC with size large straps.

Whatever you order online, just make sure you can return it if it doesn't fit. Order both and return one for a refund! :)

When it comes to sizing, should I focus more on the height or weight aspect on the charts? I know ideally you should base your size on both height and weight, but I am a bit tall for my weight. I am 5'11" at around 155 lbs. Which of the two BC's would work best for me:
1. 5'10"-6' 160-190 lbs
2. 5'7" - 5'10" 150-165

I'll be ordering online and my LDS does not carry the BC's that I am looking into. There is a dive shop about 40 miles away from my home that carries them, so servicing them won't be an issue in the future...I would just like to avoid the 40 mile drive for now.

This is probably what you don't want to hear, but it's the most prudent course of action:

Go to an LDS that carries the BCs you are interested in and try them on with the most likely exposure protection you will be using. There is no way to tell from online information how a BC will fit or even whether or not it will be comfortable & user-friendly enough for your purposes.

I discourage people from ordering online unless the are basically re-ordering something they already have and would like another of the same model. There are just too many variables (especially for new divers) to ensure that you get what you want/need.

FWIW,

1. 5'10"-6' 160-190 lbs
2. 5'7" - 5'10" 150-165

I have a similar problem. I have been looking to purchase a BC and Most dive shops try to put me in a L or XL BCD because of my height (6' 1"). I have found that in most cases this is a big mistake since they don't fit well around the middle (size 34 waist). If it is available in the BC am looking at a ML seems to work best. If not I go down to a medium so that i can get a tight fit.

BP/W

There. I said it.

:d

Thanks everyone and sorry for the late reply. I ended up taking a shot in the dark and hoping for the best. The BC I got was a tad loose when worn over a regular t-shirt. It fits fairly well but moves a bit using a rashguard in the water. I'll try it with a 7mm wetsuit next time. I may even wear an extra layer over the wetsuit to add some girth.

Send it back mrsam. It doesn't fit you properly. After all the questions you have asked lately on this board, the thoughtful answers you've received and I suspect independent reading you have done, why now are you willing to accept an improper fit? Was it worth saving the 40 mile drive?

By the way, what on earth do you mean by putting something more on with your 7mil to give you more girth?

Send it back mrsam. It doesn't fit you properly. After all the questions you have asked lately on this board, the thoughtful answers you've received and I suspect independent reading you have done, why now are you willing to accept an improper fit? Was it worth saving the 40 mile drive?

By the way, what on earth do you mean by putting something more on with your 7mil to give you more girth?

Thank you for the input. I spoke with an Aqualung rep and he recommended the ML size based on my information, so I had assumed that saving the $40 drive was possible.
I mean adding a 3mil hooded vest (6mil hood), mainly for the hood aspect. I also wore a 7mil on my last dive and was still cold in the water, even after 30 minutes I was still cold.
I do go through cutting and bulking phases. My issue with BC's is that at one point I can be 160-175 lbs, and at other times I may drop to 150-160 lbs. I honestly think my best bet is to purchase a smaller BC and keep both, then switch off between bulking/cutting phases.

I honestly think my best bet is to purchase a smaller BC and keep both, then switch off between bulking/cutting phases.

BP/W

There. I said it. Again.

:d

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom