Scooter Question (Beer Bet)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

schlackerrat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
This is to settle a beer bet with my brother.....
Is it possible with these new scooters, to leave from shore and go all the way around Molokini and back to shore on one tank?

No it is not possible as it is over 2.5 miles from shore and it takes 50 minutes just to go all the way around Molokini. I have left a boat from reefs end and went all the way around back to reefs end. It's on YouTube . Hope this helps. The maximum distance with the NIMH battery is 4.5 miles. You would actually run out of air first

Greg Walker
www.mauiscooterdivers.com

Uh... better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Abe Lincoln

Below is the link to SS Scooter, and their run times...
Product specifications- Imperial

You'll notice some of those scooters have a 5, 9 even 16 mile range. :)

You should really read what the question is before you respond. It was to do it on 1 80 tank. Of course if you had a rebreather stayed at 40' deep and had a 12,000 SVX Apollo scooter with a 7.5 mile range, you might be able to do it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I did read the question. He said, "1 tank". He didn't say what size tank. He also didn't say what depth. He merely inquired about whether it was doable. You state it's 2.5 miles to the reef, then 50 minutes around the reef.

That's completely doable.

Imagine diving an LP121 with a resting sac rate of .3 (because you're on a scooter, you're not swimming at all). You are at 15' which is approximately 1.45ata. 1.45 ata x .3 = .44cu' per minute. An LP121 holds 165cu' of gas. 165cu' / .44cu'/minute = 375 minutes. Now, the good Magnus has a speed of 250' per minute at top speed for 5 miles or 2 hours. The island is .5 miles in diameter and is 2.5 miles away. So, that's roughly 4 miles including the trip to the island and all the way around the island. SO! Can we do 4 miles on the big bad magnus before we reach 375 minutes worth of gas? YUP!!!

Yeah good luck with that, let me know how it goes for you. Oh don't forget about the ripping current that often sweeps people to down range. You should look at my video on going all the way around the island.

Hehe, ever been in a N. Florida cave? We call it "ripping flow" here.

Sorry mate, but the scooters today have a 16 mile range. With 375 minutes of gas, it surely is doable.

Do you even own a scooter? I have six of them, and yes if you spend 12,000 bucks and don't kill yourself you might be able to do it. Your brother should just give you the beer already. Clearly you have too much time on your hands. Fun discussion though.

I wouldn't expect you to know this stuff, afterall, you're just a divemaster :)

By the way, the Magnus 2x is 16k :)
I'm an SS Dealer.

Thanks for the info. Reading through the discussion, I feel that I lost the bet. So I owe my brother a beer, but then when it's a beer bet, there's really no losers!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom