My DIY / Homemade Sidemount Rigs (minimalist & heavy-lift)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Just an update of my on-going tinker project with sidemount rigs. I currently have two rigs in use: the first is a minimalist webbing rig that uses a DiveRite trim pillow - primarily used for recreational sidemount or minor deco with 2xAL80 and an AL40; the second is a conversion of a 66lb Custom Divers TDB dual-bladder wing for multi-stage/mixed-gas diving (and teaching PADI tec/sidemount courses where redundancy is mandatory).

Pics and descriptions here:

Some Options for DIY Sidemount Rigs

Obviously your results may vary but I talked to an educational consultant about mandatory dual bladders, and he said single bladder with buoyant tanks could pass muster.

I would not like to try and justify it in court but.

I'd like that in writing, formally with a PADI letterhead, before I adopted it.

The Tec40 allows single bladder, Tec45/50+ specifically states there must be redundant buoyancy (or drysuit). Makes it hard when people turn up for courses with a Stealth or Hollis SMS50/100 (assuming they didn't get a redundant SMS100). That leaves only the Razor, or a 'cold-water' sidemount rig.

Oh I am with you on liability.

FWIW the Nomad least offers a potential dual bladder as well. Have not seen one in real life yet though. It struck me that a trim pillow could be used as a dual bladder with a single bladder rig since it it not too in the way.

I am diving the Diamond and I was thinking that as there is a spare port for inflator, maybe a second bladder could be fitted IF I ever use a wetsuit.

I need to show you a pic of the custom ring/keeper that I have on my chest for the bungee.

Mine is similar, but instead of custom plates, I have a triangle ring up top and a square ring on the bottom.
I have 4 total pieces of webbing (2 shoulder, 1 back/crotch, one belt)

I really like your design. Simple and not retarded expensive for a "pile of webbing and d-rings"

Good stuff!

I LOVE diving mine, I call it my monkey rig.

Back
Top Bottom