Versatile Sidemount Rig?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...that you need some sort of rails in line with your back instead of your hips to properly dive steel tanks.
It helps with some techniques, but you do not need it. The Razor harness is a proof in itself:

This can be a bent D-ring set all the way back to where it is still on the waist belt but in the same plane as the lower plates, or it can be a double D-ring on the crotch strap, ...
The stock Razor 2 and 2.1 both have those included in the design.
Two drop attachment points (the Stealth has those too) and the B-Ring on the crotch strap would replace those adequately.

It looks, however, like nobody is using them to attach sidemount tanks. They are used for the pouch and equipment attachments only.
(as the manual says more or less and as far as I know it is not taught to use any of those for tank attachment either)

It seems like the problem with perception there is that people do not demonstrate diving any tanks but aluminum very often.
In most areas aluminum tanks can be found someplace and adding just a couple more (with a bit of extra pressure perhaps) extents range enough for most situation (doesn't it?) and those also look good on video without much effort (color and shininess, not better tank-trim).
Everything else is at least out of range of most cameras or the videos cannot be used because of lighting conditions very often.

But there are a few videos to be found where people are using most types of cylinder on one type of harness system or the other successfully in video friendly environments, or as short moments and single frames in a cave video.
As most harness system are comparable variances of the basic 'razor-style-harness', if you can find a video where someone is doing it you can assume it can be done with any system and for any diver some way.

I tried a lot of different cylinder types and from my point of view most are hard to get to work well without knowing before how it is done exactly.
Than it mostly seems to be a matter of bungee quality and placement of the cam band on the tank and you are done and can always dive that type in the future without further experiments (if you manage to always remember correctly).

, but I still maintain that you need some sort of rails in line with your back instead of your hips to properly dive steel tanks.

I use the old school method of having a hip attachment point (used to be called egg beaters) with carrabiners fixed closely with the tank. The good thing about this system is that is can work with aluminum and steel,and get rid of the floaties because they have no place to go. In the evolution of sidemount harnesses when we used to home make them,these were preferred. Bill Rennaker developed the "rails",and this was copied by one manufacturer,then by all the manufacturers,but ultimately I contend the hip attachment is a better attachment,it just got lost in the commercialization of sidemounting.

...but ultimately I contend the hip attachment is a better attachment,it just got lost in the commercialization of sidemounting.
That's something I have not heard before and it sounds to me like it describes the situation perfectly.

I can only speak to my experience. I dive the Hollis SMS 75 and love it. But, I haven't yet tried it with AL80s, and because of the flexible (but not THAT flexible) back plate, it needs a lot of space in a suitcase, and I'm kinda' dreading traveling with it. I wonder if someday it becomes my FL-only BC and I add a travel BC to my armory. The Contour I've handled is even bigger - really bulky. If I were in the market for a suitcase friendly cave rig, I think the razor would be on the top of my shortlist, but this is based only on my impressions of the construction and design and not on experience as I haven't dove anything except my 75.

I think this is meant more as a joke than anything else. Still impressive to see it can be done, however.

That's something I have not heard before and it sounds to me like it describes the situation perfectly.

dscn4488.jpg

I use a carrabiner attached to the tank with this carrabiner holder I created,and hose clamps. The carrabiner matches up perpendicular with a something a little more oval than a D-ring on my waistband of my harness. When these mate up there isn't any ability for the tank to float up,down,or away. This is easily donned/doffed,even in snug restrictions. This set up has been used for many,many years,actually far longer that the present configuration of the back plate with rails.

steel to steel attachment?
Not to be a DIR DIR DIR or so...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom