Sidemount in Wrecks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mulla

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All,

I have yet to take a proper wreck diving course but have some observations and questions about SM’ing in wrecks.

Been watching a fair bit of wreck diving videos online and a lot of time the doorways are tall and narrow. In the video a BM diver could probably just fit through, thus requiring a SM diver to swing his tanks to the front? This is not a problem, but doesn’t this add an additional task to be done each time one goes through a doorway? Or do you just turn on your side and go through without swinging tanks to the front?

This lead me to the question if SM is really a better option for wreck penetration compared to BM? I mean it’d do’able in SM but BM has the advantage that one does not need to play with tanks each time you go through a doorway.

Thanks in advance for any discussion and tips.

I dive a backmounted rebreather but have two tanks sidemounted for my bailout gasses. it is a simple and easy process to turn on my side to navigate a doorway. Swinging tanks in front is very seldom necessary.

If the doorways are tall and narrow, just rolling up on your side to pass in sidemount is no problem. The passages I had to take a tank off to pass in my class last spring were way smaller than any door.

It's simple dive backmount on wrecks sitting upright and sidemount on wrecks laying on their side.:D. Just kidding. I dive sidemount cave diving but I do find getting in the water on a pitching boat quicker and easier backmount. Just my opinion as I know it can be done sidemount. Navigating a shipwreck sidemount as stated above is no problem.

Thanks everyone for sharing your experience. This question arises due to insufficient SM divers going through doorways on youtube! :)

It's simple dive backmount on wrecks sitting upright and sidemount on wrecks laying on their side.:D. Just kidding. I dive sidemount cave diving but I do find getting in the water on a pitching boat quicker and easier backmount. Just my opinion as I know it can be done sidemount. Navigating a shipwreck sidemount as stated above is no problem.

Yes or I can just push the upright ones to their side before going in :)

I think this simple exercise demonstrates the principle applied:

images

The only times I detach/forward-carry tanks is when I physically cannot fit through a restriction. Maneuvering with tanks attached is always the first option. The last option, very tight spaces and/or with multiple stages, is to leash and pull tanks - with only one primary pushed in front (short hose).

Advanced-Sidemount-Course-4.jpg

How I informally break it down...

No Restriction -
Two divers can pass through whilst sharing air side-by-side or piggy back

sidemount_technical_wreck-12.jpg

Restriction - Two divers cannot pass through whilst sharing air (without long hose), single diver may pass easily

sidemount-wreck-5.jpg

Significant Restriction - One diver cannot pass through with both cylinders in place (sidemount = detach single cylinder)

sidemount_technical_wreck-7.jpg

Major Restriction - One diver cannot pass through with either primary cylinders in place (sidemount = detach both primary cylinders)

ANDI-Advanced-Sidemount-Course-Subic.jpg

Extreme Restriction - One diver cannot pass through with cylinders detatched and both cylinders pushed forwards (1+ cylinders trailed via leash)

ANDI-Advanced-Sidemount-Diving-Course.jpg

Full article here: Defining Wreck Diving Restrictions

Last edited:
The I-169 Submarine in Truk Lagoon is an example of an Major/Extreme Restriction (exiting out through the forward bulkhead hatch -which is barely open- through the tight entangling wreckage of the conning-tower into open water), at around 36 meters depth. I was momentarily stuck fast at this spot, with both arms pinned at my sides with both 11L tanks dismounted & floating about freely around my head.:amazed: (I don't recommend anyone bigger than 170cm height/70kg weight attempting to pass through this restriction).

You can get in the aft hatch vertically with conventional backmount doubles, but you cannot progress horizontally inside the pressure hull unless you are configured in sidemount doubles. . .

Last edited:
Thanks DevonDive for the very informative show and tell!!! Would I expect to go through everything up to Extreme Restriction if I go and do a Tech Wreck course? I don't think I like the idea very much... paranoid about being stuck!

Thanks DevonDive for the very informative show and tell!!! Would I expect to go through everything up to Extreme Restriction if I go and do a Tech Wreck course? I don't think I like the idea very much... paranoid about being stuck!

No, there'd be no need to push it that far. Most technical wreck courses are run to the student's comfort level. It's primarily about guideline laying, gas management, team skills and contingency protocols.

The Major-Extreme restriction stuff comes in higher level courses and with significant overhead experience. I do these (small holes) on Advanced Sidemount (note: NOT the same as 'Tec Sidemount etc).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom