Wreck Diving Cert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hostage

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I would like to take wreck diving specialty from a very good and experience wreck diver. I have already dove on a dozen different wrecks and I would prefer someone who has a vast experience of both tech and rec diving as I have the feeling that most DM's will tell me what I already know or I have the feeling I could read the same info they did. I live in Rochester and dive the 1000 islands often. Any suggestions on someone who is good, I don't just want another c-card.

-Hostage

Wrecks Dove:

Islander - Alex Bay
Daryaw - Brockville
Vickery - near Alex Bay
Sir Robert Peel - near Alex Bay
Canastoga - near Brockville
Gaskin - near Brockville
Lilly Parsin's - near Brockville
Musky - near Brockville
Ash Island Barge - near Brockville
Keystorm - Near Alex Bay
Postal Ship - Skintatlas Finger Lakes
Rothesay - near Brockville

Steve Lewis, aka "Doppler" here on Scubaboard. He teaches a TDI Advanced Wreck program from time to time in the 1000 Islands area. If you haven't taken at look at his "The Six Skills", you should.

I did the Padi wreck speciallity with David Gallo in NYC. (Contact through Adventure Scuba).
Explain that you want more than just a cert. He has plenty to teach, you will be laying lines, etc. He doesn't believe in doing penetrations in NYC anymore (since he's had a child), so you will do all the training, but outside the wreck.

Day 1 is at Dutch Springs. Day 2 is ocean based. He also did an evening at his offices prior to the first dive where you do theory, talk risks, talk equipment.

I moved on and did technical wreck (with TDI) a while after his course. I found that I was well grounded in what I was supposed to know.

He doesn't believe in doing penetrations in NYC anymore (since he's had a child), so you will do all the training, but outside the wreck.

Wouldn't that be sort of like having a driving instructor who didn't want to go on the road? While he may be a great instructor, don't you really have to penetrate to get the full spectrum of knowledge? I may be wrong, and if so, it will be made apparent here.
RichH

I would not recommend ANY course that didn't include an actual wreck penetration. Yes, you can tie-off and lay lines on the deck of a ship, but you are not getting the full training you deserve in your training. All of your dives during the course will (should) be in prepareation of your final dive with penetration. These include wreck surveying, hazard assessment/risk analysis (structural/marine life), gas planning, equipment needs, and potential/backup entry/exit points from the wreck.

Once you actually penetrate the wreck, you may lose all reference to the outside world, meaning which way is up/down, or where the exit is. Especially in a wreck that is laying on its side where the bulkheads become the floor/ceiling. It can be disorienting. This is why it's critical that your instructor is there to guide/train you in a real world environment with real hazards. If you've never actually been inside a wreck and had the silt stirred up, reducing your visibility (maybe to zero), how do you know that you can actually extract yourself from the wreck and be able to ascend back to the surface? My instructor silted up the compartment we were in and it really drove home the importance of NEVER losing track of the wreck line you're following.

I'd like to say that I'm not saying this to scare you, but I am, because it may be your life that depends upon the training you received. No matter what agency you choose, just make sure you get the training you deserve. Good luck with your training.

If you are serious about learning to wreck dive properly and not just collect another c card than you are in luck, you have one of the best in the business not too far from you, Steve Lewis.

Wreck diving is one area where there is huge difference in the scope of courses between different agencies.

Courses tend to achieve one of two outcomes: (1) Recreational - diving within the light zone and less than 40m/130ft total linear distance from the surface, or (2) Technical - diving beyond the light zone, through restrictions and with no limit in time/distance from the surface.

The PADI Wreck Diver specialty course is nothing more than a very basic introduction and does not focus on effective penetration skills. It has one penetration dive, and even that is optional. There is no training in contingency/emergency drills and no requirement for redundant air sources etc. The required experience for instructors is very low - and your instructor may have little or no true expertise in wreck penetration.

In contrast, courses like the ANDI Wreck Diver (L2) course are penetration specific and directly comparable to cavern diver training. This course offers one open water skill dive (guidelines and emergency drills), followed by 3 actual penetration dives. Redundant gas is mandatory (course can include intro to doubles use) and critical emergency skills are taught, such as; lost line, lost buddy, entanglement, back-up light deployment etc.

The TDI Advanced Wreck course is good training, but it is a secondary-level course. You first need to do a basic wreck course first and have 50 dives experience, amongst other requirements.

Technical wreck courses typically demand existing qualifications in technical diving; normally AN/DP or Tec45 and above...

When considering wreck training, do look for an instructor who is qualified to a higher level (i.e. advanced/technical wreck). True instructor expertise is critical if you want good training. There's no reason why wreck penetration training shouldn't be as comprehensive as that for cavern/cave - as should the instructor's experience.

Wreck Diving Course Selection: How To Evaluate A Wreck Diving Course

Wreck Diving Skills: Advanced Wreck Diving Techniques | Overhead Protocols | Technical Wreck

Wreck Diving Limits: Defining Wreck Diving Restrictions

I am wanting to take this very seriously and want to learn a lot. I am currently diving with a group that found a missing wreck. I just identified a missing wreck that was discovered by a different group a decade ago, though as it was similar to the wreck they were looking for, they assumed it was. I wont say the name, but it is a 177ft steamer. Basiclly I don't want to ask for my money back, I want someone I can learn from.

Then you want to proceed along with a technical wreck course not a recreational one. They are worlds apart DevonDiver nailed it.

You will likely need AN/DP and experience in doubles initially.

Back
Top Bottom