7L steel sidemount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seedy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
sidemount setup 1.jpgHi, I use two 7l steels with my nomad and the Lamars ring bungee system which I like the security of. I need to lower
the rear of the tanks as they are riding high a little. Should I be lengthening the btm clip / strap to let the tank sit lower ......?
A bit of experience here could save a few test dives etc. thanks

Last edited:
I can't tell from the picture, but what brand tanks are those? With tanks that are continuously negative (Worthington), an easy solution would be to lengthen the leash. This would allow the cylinder's tails to "fall" farther. You may need to play with the position of the leash (rotationally around the tank, most likely). If those tanks get positive as they empty (Fabers), treating them almost as alu cylinders is the best option. I was very against this until recently, but have been converted: Add forward d-rings and move the tanks mid-dive.

Regardless of which tank, it seems like (from the limited information I've got) that you might want to lower (towards your feet) your leash location on the tank as well as whatever fix was provided above.

Low profile fixed d-rings on the waist belt. I have yet to see floaty tail cylinders trim out when clipped to the butt plate. It can work with heavy steels that stay negative throughout the dive.

I would look at moving the band a bit further down the tank and lengthening the leash a bit

Looking at the photo, it seems that the upper end of the cylinders is hanging low - perhaps significant of a slightly too long bungee. If the upper end hangs low, then the cylinder will be out of trim.

I think you need to shorten the bungees slightly.

The rear-end of the cylinder does seem to be correctly located along the side-centerline of the torso. It's the top of the tank hanging below it

attachment.php

In your example photograph, it can be seen as:

attachment.php

Your tanks look like 7L faber steels, and guessing they are 232 bar fills. If so, that is what I use and they stay level with my side and do not change during the whole dive.
A friend is using 300 bar fills and always has a bit of trouble as he is over weighted with them. if you want to know my config just email me and I'll explain mine to you. neilhay1959@gmail.com.

Regards, Neil Diver2500

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom