Can anyone ID this BC Invertebrate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Roko

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I can't seem to find this one in my reference books. I'd guess some sort of anemone? Found at Whytecliff park outside Vancouver at around 25m.

unknown.jpg

Funny you should say that, I'm currently processing a photo of a Golden Dirona I took on the very same dive :)

Unfortunately, I don't think that's it. At the base of what you can see in the picture is a white cylindrical body extending into the crack. In the centre of the white "branches" (for a lack of a better term) there appears to be an anemone-like mouth.

I'm pretty sure Max is right. It's not uncommon to have the body of the animal buried in a crack in the rock, and only the feeding tentacles visible. I've never seen one so limp, though -- I wonder if it was unwell.

Thanks! I never thought of cucumbers. Do the Red Sea Cucumbers really have that much colour variation within the species? The body was rather cream/white, with orange frills. Some more photos of different ones from the same dive, The second with a VERY red Red Sea Cucumber :)

BurrowingCucumber2LQ.jpgRedCucumberLQ.jpg

Last edited:
I think it's actually the Orange sea cucumber, Cucumaria miniata. Here's another image:

orngecuc3.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom