How to tow an unconscious diver 100 yrds in 4 min?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RDRINK25

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What is the best way to tow an unconscious diver in under 4 min 100 yards? I am rescue certified already so I know the 3 tows but which are the fastest and how do you train for it? I have to take a dive fitness test to become a volunteer diver for the Aquarium and is one of the grueling requirements. It takes me already 3 min to just swim it without towing anyone.

My guess would be the tired diver push because you are face forward and have maximum use of legs that are straight. I could be wrong. Is this for the DM stamina tests? If not and the tired diver is not in danger, what's the rush?

I have a Zodiac RIB with a 150 on it. I think that would do it. :D

Freediving fins.....and train with 2 minute intervals --fast as possible sustained for 2 minutes...rest with slow kicks for 4 minutes, then another full on 2 minute interval...and so on..at least 4 intervals first week, move up to 8 by 2nd month....
When you want to do a longer effort, like 4 or 8 minutes, your power is so much higher from the 2 minute intervals, and larger aerobic base, that you will be much faster than you would have imagined.

This is the test.

photo_zps4799fefa.jpg

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 739
Demonstrate an aquatic ability acceptable to the instructor...

huh?

You should be able to do this test in any of the standard push/pull/tow methods in four minutes. Seriously. Four minutes is a L-O-N-G time.

PS - please don't resort to freediving fins, or any gear other than what you would ordinarily use. If you can't perform the test satisfactorily in your own gear... you should not qualify for the position.

---------- Post added January 21st, 2014 at 05:51 AM ----------

The underwater breath hold swim looks challenging. 23m...

Really? One length of a standard size pool?

Back
Top Bottom