Sidemount diving material

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ojoo83

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello to all,
well i'm thinking of switching to sidemount diving and thinking of buying gear, after i started the research for equipment to buy i realized that i need to know more about it in the first place ( how smart of me), well i'm looking for books to read about SM, does anyon have like soft copy books to share that would help?

Thanks to all :)

There's a sidemount video online that is ok, but not spectacular. It's about half a brief overview of sidemount diving and half a hollis commercial. If you order it order a hard copy DVD, I did the online rental thing and it kept freezing up. When I restarted the video I had to completely watch the whole video back to where it froze up, then a while later it would freeze up again and I'd have to start completely over watching it all the way to the new freeze point. You couldn't move the play button around so if you wanted to back up and listen to what they said again, you couldn't. It was ridiculous to pay I think it was 15 or 20 dollars and not even be able to skip around in the video to get back to where you were watching it before.

edit: oh, and officially you were only allowed to watch it once... so after you got all the way through it you can't go back and watch parts again. forgot to say that.

All the material I have is fairly generic.
Sidemount being very user customized.

I have the above mentioned DVD.

The book Side mount Profiles by Brian Kakuk and Jill Heinerth.

Also a book by an instructor at COJO diving in New Brunswick. You can get a hard copy or PDF file from their website.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

---------- Post added January 22nd, 2014 at 10:01 AM ----------

Online, Andy at Scubatech Phillipines has a lot of info on his website.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

Lamair once said, I think in one of the Nomad videos that there are two reasons to go side mount. The first is for getting into tight spaces that back mount wont allow. The second is for a diving lifestyle change. In other words, going side mount for ie: bad knees, back, age, gender...you name it. Another saying we have down here is "If you see ten side mount divers, you will see eleven different gear configurations" Ken

Go to youtube and you will see more vid's than you can imagine. Some of my fav's are Lamar Hires from Dive Rite. Sidemounting is an adventure in configurations, so to speak. Also Andy, DevonDiver, I believe, here on the board is another good read and source of info. Whatever you do, explore the options. Have fun!!

Thanks all for the info :)

Jill Heinerth's sidemount video is a good watch. Her book, with Brian Kakuk is also a good introduction.

PADI are releasing their sidemount manual soon (1st Q 2014) and this will cover both open-water and technical sidemount.

UTD have released a sidemount video now.

My website has a number of resources:

A List of Sidemount Contemporary Diving Systems

Sidemount Diving Course Notes

Other sidemount resources, articles and videos

Wikipedia, to which I have contributed, has a good article also: Wikipedia Sidemount Diving

Hello to all,
well i'm thinking of switching to sidemount diving and thinking of buying gear, after i started the research for equipment to buy i realized that i need to know more about it in the first place ( how smart of me), well i'm looking for books to read about SM, does anyon have like soft copy books to share that would help?

Thanks to all :)

I am selling my dvd if interested, it is the same one mentioned above.

Back
Top Bottom