Sidemount Instructors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anyone actually teach ring bungees? I thought that was a system of the past. I may have to revise my post in another thread about there being three major systems currently taught.
If by ring bungee you mean a loop of bungee that is attached to the tank valve to secure the tank to a chest D-ring, then yes, it is still taught. If you mean something else...

If by ring bungee you mean a loop of bungee that is attached to the tank valve to secure the tank to a chest D-ring, then yes, it is still taught. If you mean something else...

I think he’s talking about Dive Rites Ring Bungee (TM) with a 2” stainless still ring that clips into a bolt snap. That’s not a can of worms I’m willing to open again. IYKYK :)

I think he’s talking about Dive Rites Ring Bungee (TM) with a 2” stainless still ring that clips into a bolt snap. That’s not a can of worms I’m willing to open again. IYKYK :)
Ah. I just googled those. Yuck.

...(typically mounted using ring-bungies)...
I was referring to this comment. I have hundreds of dives in FL caves surrounded by persons using steel tanks and I have only seen one or two ring systems.

The ring system has a steel ring on the bungee and a bolt snap on the tank that clips to it. The ring usually also has a clip to somewhere on the harness for carrying tanks out of the water. It's difficult to get the tanks up high were most side mount divers want them.

I was referring to this comment. I have hundreds of dives in FL caves surrounded by persons using steel tanks and I have only seen one or two ring systems.

The ring system has a steel ring on the bungee and a bolt snap on the tank that clips to it. The ring usually also has a clip to somewhere on the harness for carrying tanks out of the water. It's difficult to get the tanks up high were most side mount divers want them.
I saw that and assumed loop bungees... I'm checking my box for something new learned today :)

Protec Tulum or Playa del Carmen. If you dive a XDeep rig then they are the best place to go. There certainly are other shops with great people here in Tulum and area.

Timmy Young -OR- Max Kuznetsov

In North Florida I suggest Timmy Young or Max Kuznetsov who both dive sidemount exclusively, and have for a couple of decades.

I am basically a self-taught sidemount diver and I never used a clip on top of the tanks unless I was boat diving in the ocean and hanging my tanks on an equipment line or something. I recently came back to diving after a layoff of a few years and I have slowly upgraded gear and so on over the past year or two. I asked Edd why he uses the butterfly clips at the neck? He said it's far easier to put the butterfly clip on a d-ring first, then locate the bottom clip, then put the bungee over hand wheel. He's right, as per normal!

Does anyone actually teach ring bungees? I thought that was a system of the past. I may have to revise my post in another thread about there being three major systems currently taught.
Hi, only previous models of Dive Rite SM BCD were provided with ring bungees. The new Dive Rite SM BCD "Ray Nomad" is fitted with standard bungee.
The ring bungees are not really popular nowadays and are anyway only used for handling steel tanks.

Back
Top Bottom