Beaches Turks and Caicos.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

anathema

New
Reaction score
We have stayed at both a Sandals and Beaches in Jamaica and enjoyed the experience. While the diving is less than exciting in Jamaica to say the least, I don't think there is a better all-inclusive resort for kids than Beaches in the Caribbean (especially one that has free diving to occupy Dad).

That said, we are looking to Beaches Turks and Caicos for next year's trip. There is an old thread from 2011 discussing the process and logistics of diving at the Beaches T & C but I was looking for any update.

Again, the first priority is the family vacation so the quality of diving itself is less relevant but if its a nightmare of dealing with a packed boat and/or hour long cruises to the dive site or even a taxi ride to the other side of the island in order to get to the boat, that would be a strike against Beaches in T & C (and I'd just as soon go back to one of the Beaches in Jamaica). I've dived at Sandals-Dunns River (since closed) and just got back from Beaches Ocho Rios. There was never more than 10 people on the boat, it was a short trip to the dive sites and the DM's were really great and fun to be around. I've become accustomed to their philosophy of one diver gets low on air, everyone in the group surfaces and hasn't really been a big issue in the past.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

the diving is stunning in tci but diving there with beaches can be a little bit cattle boat diving they are always busy!!!!
i would look at diving with a seperate opperation like dive provo or for less people flamingo divers with micky & jane they run 8 max
the boat runs out to the sites are all 45 - 60 mins each way unless you dive grace bay every day which is a little restricted! but fun!
they all do pick up from hotels if i can help please drop me a line.

While not having dived while at Beaches they do make it easy I believe. However they stay close to Provo and the site's just aren't as good there. I know you said it doesn't matter but West Caicos/French Cay were some of the best diving we've ever done.

Are you wedded to the idea of staying at Beaches? We've stayed on Turks for 2weeks over Xmas/NewYrs in a 3 bedroom villa with a rental car for less than 1 week at a honeymoon suite (2 bedroom) at Beaches just after (jan3-7) those prime($$$) 2 weeks ($10k!). Unless you have little children it's a lot to pay for Butch and his Dolphin prison gang.

Apparently Beaches goes out farther now. They list Half Mile Reef and Double D at French Cay, Driveway and Highway to Heaven off West Caicos. All are listed as "Advanced" dives - the two we did (Double D and Driveway) weren't IMHO. They also list West Sand Spit and a site called Eagle Ray Pass is listed as a "Master" dive.

I guess the question is are they just listed or actually regularly diving them.

Scuba Diving at Beaches Resorts - be sure to pick T/C in the dropdown at the top or it includes all their locations.

the day beaches go out to west sand spit hell will freeze over!!!
Eagle ray pass is at south caicos so they would NEVER go there either lol
niether are master dives!!!! lol
beaches class anything deeper than 40ft as advanced diving
beaches has only just started going to french cay more just of late and theese dives only happen when they have enough interest!
there captains like to get back home early!!!

For the record, I have had some wonderful dives in Grace Bay! Cathedral, Pinnnacles, Piranha Cove. Lots of reef sharks and turtles!

The only thing memorable about our grace bay dives was the seas were like glass, the calm before the storm! WC/FC blow away GC dives.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We just booked Beaches TC and we are thinking of canceling the trip due to the diving. We dove Sandals Antigua in 2005 and we hated it. We all had to come up after 30 minutes and we dove with all different experience divers. Since 2005 we have dove: Cozumel (many times), Akumal, Playa del Carmen, Belize, Red Sea, Phuket and Bonaire. We have two kids and one will be getting certified this year so we thought Beaches would be a great experience for him. This is our one big trip this year and we want to make everyone happy. Just don't see us being happy with a cattle boat. We are both rescue certified. Thinking of going back to Bonaire and just hiring a babysitter for when we want to dive. Any thoughts?

cancun9 - my husband and I JUST got back from Turks & Caicos (provo). I can't really imagine staying at the Beaches (cost and crowds), when you can rent a private villa for about 1/18th of the price, but I can see the draw for families. You could also get a baby-sitter while there. Check out some VRBO.com rentals!
We dove with Flamingo Divers - and it was truly excellent!!! No cattle boat (like Beaches or the other dive shops). Flamingo takes out only 8 divers maximum (we did 3 days: 6 divers the first 2 days and only 4 of us on the last). Mickey and Jayne, the owners (who are incredible btw) - gave very detailed briefings.. and after gauging our experience - were happy to leave my husband, while they surfaced early with another couple. The reef was absolutely beautiful, excellent wall dives.. we dove with curious sharks every day - and although we kept missing them - we heard the whales singing on each dive.
I haven't been to Bonaire yet, and have heard great things - but I wouldn't rule out TCI whatsoever!! Like always (I'm sure as you've found) - it's sometimes just picking the right operator.

We will be going for our 5th visit to Beaches Turks and Caicos at the end of June. My husband and I are very experienced divers (over 300 dives each) and we have always had a wonderful time diving at Beaches. On our trips we have gone to Football Field, Northwest Point sites, French Cay and many good sites in Grace Bay. On our last trip, we saw 5-6 reef sharks on almost every dive! If you are an experienced diver, let them know when you check in. Bring your log book, your C-cards, your DAN card - anything that will let them know your level of experience. When there are several very experienced divers, they will usually make a small, special group. While there are many guests who want to dive, if you follow the rules - like signing up for dives the day before, or right after you come off the boat - you can avoid most "cattle boat" experiences. Keep requesting sites that are far from Grace Bay, and get others to ask too! Go on a night dive! Really - I love diving with Beaches Turks and Caicos. We've been to most of the Sandals, and Beaches, and this property has excellent diving. (So do the Sandals in St. Lucia!) And yes, my husband and I have gone to Bonaire, Cayman, Bahamas, Dominica, etc. At this Beaches, our son can come along and we get excellent diving! Carol, the dive operations manager is wonderful!!! Have a great time!

Back
Top Bottom