C-Card Recognition: Myth or Fact?

Were you ever denied a service or boat ride based upon C-card brand?

• Yes, I have been denied a service or trip based upon brand.

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • No, I have never been denied a service or trip based upon brand.

Votes: 28 16.4%
  • I have never had problems based upon brand, but had problems based upon the rating on the card.

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • I have never had any problems having a C-card accepted.

Votes: 127 74.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trace Malinowski

Training Agency President
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
In the 33 years that I have been diving, I've never had a certification card that wasn't accepted by a dive operator based upon agency brand.

I have, however, been asked to come up with a more pertinent C-card. For example, once in the Florida Keys I signed up to go wreck diving. They wanted a pertinent card to file until we returned to the shop after the charter. In my wallet, I had a PDIC solo instructor card, a GUE Tech 1 card, an NSS-CDS cave recovery diver card, and a PSAI instructor trainer card. I handed them the NSS-CDS cave card. That wasn't good enough. They said they needed to see something that said either "wreck" or "advanced open water." They accepted my PSAI instructor trainer card since instructors teach AOW.

Now, they knew that the NSS-CDS was a respected agency, but the policy to go wreck diving was that someone needed to be an AOW diver or have a wreck specialty. The cave card just threw a monkey wrench into the gears of comfort with liability.

Have you ever had a dive operator deny you service or a boat trip based upon the brand of your C-card rather than what was written on it?

Ive never been asked to see my card except when buying a season pass at Dutch... every other place just wants the number on the waiver and never actually sees my card since I know my number by heart......... the only card they really want to see is a Visa or MasterCard....:D

I'm with crosshairs, as long as I fill out the waiver and pay no one has the slightest intrest in seeing my card. Part of that I attribute to being old and having some gear to prove it.

Bob
-------------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.

I had one dive boat actually ask for the C-cards. They just wanted to see the card itself. Most of the other dive operators are happy if I provide the information such as number and level of certification. I always take the cards just in case when on vacation.

I've been asked for my card on cruise ship scuba shore excursions...On local boats it is the DAN membership/insurance card that finds its way to the bridge more than the c card.

There are some dive ops that actually collect your card at the dock and return them to you when you return.
All my cards are mainstream agencies, so I never have issues with recognition.
I was an uncertified diver for over 15 years prior to actually owning a card, and never had issues getting on boats in my area..but I knew everybody as well. When I moved from California to key west, nobody would let me dive on their boats, and getting fills became impossible. Thus I took my OW cert with a nice instructor with some age on her(reformed jersey diver), and the rest is history.

All of my local boats have checked c cards. After they know you by nickname they stop asking for the card. However every boat near me has a release form with the agency name, cert level and card #. Yes that is a result of lawsuits.

Only denied when I didn't have the training for the dive I wanted to do. I tried to pass off the experience as an opportunity for my more experienced buddy to mentor me, as he was certified to teach the skill required for the dive I wanted to go on. He said no. Can't say I blame him. Under the ice is a big risk for free-flowing regulators and inflators, and I simply didn't understand the risks at the time. Still want to do the dive, but now I understand the risks better, and know I need the training.

It was never denied to me, but I have denied to others.
A guy had a nitrox card from this "agency", he did not dive nitrox that day.

I know it's not what you asked, but I have also denied service to several people because they could not provide a C-card of any kind and it doesn't show up on the online look ups. People actually get upset about it, but no matter how much you kick and scream and cry, you aren't going diving. It's the divers responsibility to show proof of certification, CARRY your C-card when you're going diving from a charter boat.

Sorry Trace, I hope this doesn't derail your thread

Back
Top Bottom