Training System: PADI vs. TDI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike.chuanshi

Contributor
Reaction score
My goal is to be able to responsibly, safely, and skillfully penetrate wrecks between 130 feet and 200 feet in tropical waters.

I have identified potential instructors, which in turn narrowed down my options in terms of training agencies to PADI TecRec and TDI. I'm looking to get some opinions and insights from those who have experience with these training systems, as they have significantly different training curricula.

Prior to any tech training, Rescue, Nav, Wreck, Deep, Nitrox, Self-Reliant Diver, and DEMP (DAN) certifications (along with several other less relevant courses) will all be acquired, and all potential instructors have the obvious gear requirements necessary to pursue training in either system.

Given the stated goal (and assuming the instructors are more or less equal in terms of being able to provide quality instruction), which training route would likely be most beneficial? And, more importantly, why?

You'll want normoxic trimix and deco procedures at least; I don't think it really matters which agencies, they cover much the same thing. TDI also offers Advanced Wreck, which can be a good course. PADI has better training materials, but TDI's aren't bad. It is really going to depend on the instructor, and his/her attitude. Beware the "there is only one way to do things" instructor...it may work for him, but not for you. Lastly, make sure your instructor has done lots of wreck penetrations between 130 and 200 feet, in tropical waters.

I prefer TDI's training materials, but as mentioned, it will really be down to the instructor. You'll also need to decide if you want to dive backmount or sidemount, and whether you want to consider a rebreather.

Quality of instructor is the issue, not the agency. You want a instructor that teaches in a style well suited to your learning style. You also want to ensure that the instructor frequently and historicly does dives above the level of training that you are seeking.
Eric

Why limit yourself to just PADI and TDI?

Those are the only two agencies for technical training that I have been able to locate in my area - all other instructors from different agencies seem to just pass through occasionally. That's not to say they aren't out there - I just haven't been able to find them and their names haven't come up when I've asked around.

It looks like there may be one guy on Oahu who teaches some IANTD courses, but that it looks like it's limited to Adv. EANx, Rec Trimix, and Adv. Rec Trimix.

FWIW, I acquired some deco training while I was living on Oahu (Advanced EAN and Technical Diver), and they were through an IANTD instructor. I enjoyed my instruction with him a great deal. He also offers trimix training, as you indicated. Note that O2 fills and trimix will be comparatively more expensive in HI than mainland diving hotspots, so budget accordingly. I also have a buddy that provides training through trimix (PADI), and he is very good also. I can pass on his details if you wish, as well as those of my own instructor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom