Training System: PADI vs. TDI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wow you jumped from 500 dives to 2500 in a day ...... cool beans ... trying to get more qualified ?

Nah, I just realized I hadn't updated for a while, and I further realized that you were judging my diving experience by assuming I was at the very lowest end of the default 500-999 dive range, just as you are now assuming that I am claiming the top level of the default 1,000-2,500 range. The difference between someone accurately in the 500-999 range and someone accurately in the 1,000-2,500 range might only be one dive. That is why a lot of people have stopped putting their dive and post totals out for view, so people don't make assumptions based on such flimsy evidence.

You have only been on ScubaBoard for a little while, but in the threads in which you have participated, you have shown a remarkable propensity for insulting people who have a lot of experience. You have promoted yourself as being one of the greatest instructors in history, and you have made sweeping statements attacking the abilities of whole groups of people and individuals you have never met. If that is how you want to be perceived, that's fine, but you should assume that when you insult people gratuitously, they are likely to respond.

Last edited:
Nah, I just realized I hadn't updated for a while, and I further realized that you were judging my diving experience by assuming I was at the very lowest end of the default 500-999 dive range, just as you are now assuming that I am claiming the top level of the default 1,000-2,500 range. The difference between someone accurately in the 500-999 range and someone accurately in the 1,000-2,500 range might only be one dive. That is why a lot of people have stopped putting their dive and post totals out for view, so people don't make assumptions based on such flimsy evidence.

You have only been on ScubaBoard for a little while, but in the threads in which you have participated, you have shown a remarkable propensity for insulting people who have a lot of experience. You have promoted yourself as being one of the greatest instructors in history, and you have made sweeping statements attacking the abilities of whole groups of people and individuals you have never met. If that is how you want to be perceived, that's fine, but you should assume that when you insult people gratuitously, they are likely to respond.

Well "john " i will give you 1 more piece of advice then i am done with you ...if you don't believe your the best instructor in the world ,then there IS a problem ....

Well "john " i will give you 1 more piece of advice then i am done with you ...if you don't believe your the best instructor in the world ,then there IS a problem ....

Really? I think I am a pretty decent instructor, but the best in the world? I don't have anywhere near the hubris such a belief would require.

A couple decades ago I was coaching basketball, and the local college coach set up a coaching workshop featuring the two most successful women coaches of the time and possibly all time--Pat Head Summit and Jody Conradt. We watched the two of them taking turns working with athletes they had not met until that date. What a revelation! You really had to be there to see it, but their ability to communicate new learning to those athletes was phenomenal. I thought I was a pretty good coach, and I had a good record, but I clearly saw why they had the records they had achieved. I tried to use what I saw to become a better coach.

In the past couple of years I have had the privilege of learning from some of the most famous cave diving instructors in the world. I have also had the opportunity simply to observe some other well known instructors in action. I have also seen some people who were frankly not very good, and I could see why. I learned a lot about instructing from each experience. I hope I am now a better instructor than I was before those experiences, and I hope to continue to grow.

It seems to me that if you think you are already the best instructor in the world, then you will stop trying to learn and grow.

I think the avatar says it all, John. Anyone who boasts about being a tough guy usually isn't... just my observances over the last 40 years around military "tough guys". The attitude extends beyond that though. If you have to boast of how good you are, you've missed the boat.

Similarly, if you use dive numbers, post numbers, or any other generic statistic to mark the value of an individual, you've focused on the wrong metric.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

the thread got really off topic. It's fixed.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom