Washed up, Strange dolphin? Baby whale? Alien creature?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RTBDiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
This washed up on shore the other night and was wondering if any of the ID experts knew just what it was. It's about 5-6 feet long and seems quite bloated,

Attachments

• DSC_5785.jpg
    DSC_5785.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 216
  • DSC_5786.jpg
    DSC_5786.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 192
  • DSC_5787.jpg
    DSC_5787.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 185
  • DSC_5789.jpg
    DSC_5789.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 171
Where did this wash up??

My boat captain says it's a pygmy killer whale... though you might want to get that story corroborated. He said he found one once in Brick Bay!

---------- Post added April 6th, 2014 at 08:23 AM ----------

There's a pic of one that looks almost exactly like the photos you have here: Life of Pygmy Right Whale | Life of Sea (at the end)

Washed up West of Flowers Bay at what is locally known as Mangrove Bight but has since also been known as Pirates cove. According to the folks at the Roatan Marine Park it is a female pygmy sperm whale

Interesting...I always love becoming aware of new species. I hadn't realized there was such thing as a pygmy sperm whale - I thought this was a baby pilot whale!

... According to the folks at the Roatan Marine Park it is a female pygmy sperm whale

Well, they would know, or I'm sure they wouldn't say that. After all, they know all and see all.

Good eating?

Last edited:
I dig a pygmy

Doc? Did you watch that link yourself?

Back
Top Bottom