Do you think UW Google Maps will help your diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shipwreckscanada

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Well, if you really want, you can find depth maps. May cost some $, I don't know. If a google map had depth and bottom contour (reef, sand, rock, etc.) it may be of help. Not sure what kind of a map it is--the video is just a video of diving. I would doubt a map would help me too much since it wouldn't tell me where the shells really are, but knowing the bottom could possibly help me decide on diving there or not.

I've found several reefs and wrecks previously unknown to me using Google Earth. Most of the coordinates using the cursor are more accurate than some of my old numbers.
GoogleEarth_Image_1_.jpg

The artistic drawings that the dive master create for the local dive sites frequented on live boards would be great tools to have available. Many are works of art.

I think it would take some of the mystery out of it for me. I like the unknown aspect of diving and the sense of discovery. Simply walking someone else's path is not my kick.
I do like good quality bathymetric maps though.

It's only basic contour, but very handy to find the top of pinacle to anchor to. Somebody it could be the best site survey tool but that is a long way off IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The route isn't showing "street view" because u/w, everyone's street is different. It is also a three dimensional view, your not stuck by gravity to a known set level.

As in: "I must go to this spot and find that Turtle as shown. Well, the Coral is right there...."

Will it be a fun sales tool for Tourist Departments to sell their locales? Yes.
Will newer divers be attracted to these locales because of it? Yes.
Does it serve any purpose similar to Google Street View? No, in no way.

At 00:18 I see a theoretical representation or proto/mock-up of what would be required to do this. The rest of the images that show housed single cameras were likely the ones used to put together this sample video.

A solution looking for a problem.

i think it would be cool if they street viewed some underwater cave systems. but as far as openwater goes :/ to much to street view for no real reason.

In a word, no. I might use it for some pre-dive referencing but not likely.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom