how to properly log a dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello everyone, new to scuba diving just got my open water diver card...

I have a very basic computer (mares puck, not the pro) that records dives, although I think I can't download the dive profile from this model.
I aalso registered myself at diveboard.com where I can log dives. I also have the paper log from PADI of course.
I see that to be granted access to advanced classes one needs a number of properly logged dives. What does this mean in today's paperless world? What does a dive-shop want to see?

thanks a lot!
Leo

Filling out the pages in the log book you got with your OW course is just fine, your LDS will only want to be reasonably sure that you completed the necessary dives. If you do a lot of diving with the LDS, they may not even want to see your log book as they will know for sure that you have the necessary dives.

Logging dives is for your benefit and should contain information you find important about the dive. If you are going to go electronic, then I suggest getting a computer or bottom timer that can transfer dive data electronically to your computer.

Where are you located? From what I understand, there are very few places in the world in which dive operators request to see log books. In the US, dive ops essentially never ask to see log books. If you are concerned that you may someday need to show you have certain experience, then at a minimum you should record the date, time, and depth of each dive. You can use any kind of medium, electronic or paper, that you wish--there is no special way to do it.

Sometimes the operators up here in Tobermory will ask to see a log if an unknown diver wants to book a walk-on trip to dive the deeper wrecks. (Not so much if he's part of a club or something...)

They are just looking for prior experience in cold, deep water. Diving in a mid-west quarry really isn't suitable experience for a 150' dive in 36F water, so if that's all that's in a log book, they would likely "suggest" a few dives on some of the shallower wrecks first.

As for the mechanics of logging, I started to use a little Wetnotes notebook years ago. I can put as much or as little in it as I want to...

Leo,

You are right that a lot of people are doing electronic logging if they do any logging at all. Simply stated there is no "proper" logging. Afterall logging is primarily for your benefit to keep track of what you have done and help to you fine tune your diving. I have not run into anyone asking to see a log ever. As such I would not sweat the details of logging too much. It seems unlikely you would be denied access to a class based on undefined requirements for record keeping.

Although some classes have a dive count prerequisite, I've never seen anybody check a log book. If you tell the shop you have the requisite number, they are likely to believe you.

The only questions we have ever been asked are
- how many dives have you done
- when was your last dive
i have never had to produce a dive log as proof of anything. We do keep both electronic and paper dive logs.

My experiences are the same as all above. As far as PADI goes, you need a certain number of logged dives for divemaster course, instructor course and I believe the self reliant (in lieu of "solo") course. I, too have never had anyone ask to see the book--dive charter or otherwise. Charters in FL and that area usually ask me when my last dive was. When I say last month-Dec. in Nova Scotia wet, they are satisfied. But log them all just in case, and of course for your own info. There are a ton of "log book" threads.

In Key Largo, unless you have an AOW, you must show your logbook to prove you have done 2 deep dives within a certain period to dive the deep wrecks.

Logbooks have two main functions. They provide you with details of your dives so you can go back and see what equipment you used, how it felt (important when changing configuration and when trying to fine tune something), they are a place for memories, descriptions of the sites, I have even drawings in several (and that's one of the reasons I prefer paper). The other function is to provide some sort of record that you can show when necessary, such as for certain courses or dives. Of course log books can be falsified (not a smart move), so you can also have the dives signed by your guide or buddy and many centres have stamps for you to stamp your logbook and collect them :p

Back
Top Bottom