Ear Drops for cave diving in Mexico ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Corleone

Contributor
Reaction score
i have never done any cave dive before but in about a week or so i will be in Mexico, doing a full cave programe.

should i be worried about cave water getting into my ears? should i use some ear drops? or is it going to be alright?

I have ear problems (swimmer's ear) following cave dives in Florida. I use homemade 'ear beer' (half vinegar, half rubbing alcohol) which has been 100% effective for me. I keep a small bottle with an eye-dropper, lay with my head on one side, fill the ear, wait a few minutes, then do the other side. I find doing this once at the end of the day's diving works form me.

I think worrying about the cave water is the least of your concerns if you're about to go from zero to hero in cave diving.

EDIT: jerk was changed to hero

Last edited:
I would be more concerned about doing cave dives in Mexico, without any cave training. Than the water.

Even so 91% isopropyl alcohol in each ear will kill anything that might be left in there. I use it after each dive. Keep a bottle in my car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I agree. Your ears should be the least of your worries. Zero to hero is never good.

I would be more concerned about doing cave dives in Mexico, without any cave training.

They said they're doing a "full cave progamme", which I take to mean getting cave training.

The water at Car Wash had a reputation for causing problems at one time, but it's not likely you'd be there in a training program.

I did not use ear beer on my first trip there, and paid the price with a hideous ear infection. Now I use ear beer - a mix of 90% alcohol and hydrogen peroxide - and treat my ears after every dive. Take a couple of 3 oz travel bottles and mix up the brew - it's easy to tuck the bottles into your crate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I live in the desert, there is no caves around me. its going to take me around 24 hours of flight time just to do a one way flight. cant by no mean do all this trip just to get cavern course.

if i live within a 5 km/m of lets say " cave county " it would be approprite to do a cavern course then do around 50 cavern dives, couple of months later do into/cave course and do another 50 cave dives and then maybe go for full cave. but as i said, there is no cave in my country at all.

its a new environment, just like going to mount everest or amazon jungle, safety precautions should be considered, can't understand why some tried to make it sound funny !!

is this " ear beer " a home made solution or something i can go to a pharmacy and get? is there is anything available in the pharmacy that would help ?

thankx

Never put alcohol or peroxide in your ears. You can destroy the ducts that make the "ear wax" and if you have a perforation... You will not find that outcome pleasant. I suggest you get a script for Ofloxacin, been using that for years with great success. If you really want to keep the bat duky out, get some doc proplugs. Flush with the drops, install plugs and go. The plugs are "micro-vented". The plugs also act as a pressure buffer as well in shallow water, move up/down 6-8 feet without feeling the need to equalize.

I just got back from a week long dive trip with about 22 dives and zero problems. I have had perforations for over 40 years, in one or both ear drums large enough to vent air through them and can dive using my method keeping the water out of the middle ear. If all you are worried about is water contamination, that should work well for you. You can also get mastoid infections through your eyes (tear ducts) and nose as well, so you just might want to start an antibiotic regimen before and during your stay.

I'm going to offer council on cavern diving too.... as long as you can see daylight you're good to go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom