Excellent practical joke on today's checkout dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Malpaso

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Before anyone gets too worried, it was done by a student on the instructors, not on a student, and there was no dangerous activity involved.

At one point during our "fun dives" (all skills completed), one of the students picked up a gold coin off the bottom. I didn't see it happen, as I was working the perimeter of the group (herding cats as one of the instructors puts it). Turns out he had brought it with him, but he had some of us going for a while. So much so that as we were getting out of the water, he "dropped it". Kept one of the instructors busy searching the shallows for a while. Once the story was told, we all had a good laugh.

Saw one of the neatest scenes I've seen diving in our area. Viz had been between 5-15' all weekend. Fortunately we had 6 students and 7 instructors to keep everyone together. As we hit our turnaround point, I was no longer in the back following with the least viz, but in the front. We also must have hit the thermocline at the same point. I just happened to turn around and swim backwards to check on the group as a whole, and I could actually see all 12 of the other divers, in tight formation, with all the bubble columns and everything. I'd never seen anything like that except in warm water dives. Then, as fast as it happened, the viz went back down again. probably doesn't sound like much of a big deal, but you take what you can diving in New England :D

There was a time I planned to hide a life-like plush otter in my Instructor's float tube. It would be his last checkout dive for our University Program, so I wanted to send him off with his most hated nemesis. Planned to have trouble with a student's weighting and ask him specifically for some spare weights, even though that was my job.

In any case, he got sick and couldn't go. So instead I rigged it so it would fall off the top shelf of his dive locker when he opened the door. :D

Good one. I have a fake money roll I keep in my clarinet case. Sometimes at a rehearsal I'll drop it on the floor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom