Modifying Rash guards w/o padding

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SVT_Tactical

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Anyone ever added a chest pad to a rash guard that didn't have one? I'm thinking of using pieces from an old wetsuit and getting it sewn on a rash guard. Being 6'7" its been hard to find one that fits length wise but I have a few rash guards that are long enough but no padding. Would a different material work better than an old wetsuit?

Wetwear can make one for you custom fit since you need extra length. They make all types of Skins & suits in Spearo camos as well as the usual black and primary colors. Give Connie a call.

Thanks,

I called them and they said they'd call me back, sounded like they were busy. I'll see what they say they can do and cost.

Still interested in anyone who's actually modified or made one.

Anyone ever added a chest pad to a rash guard that didn't have one? I'm thinking of using pieces from an old wetsuit and getting it sewn on a rash guard. Being 6'7" its been hard to find one that fits length wise but I have a few rash guards that are long enough but no padding. Would a different material work better than an old wetsuit?

You might be able to insert a piece of foam under the rash guard. If you want something that is designed specifically for this application, we have a short sleeve rash guard shirt with an integrated loading pad. This shirt was designed for exactly this application (to we worn over a skin or wetsuit that has no chest pad).

Short Sleeve Rashguard with Chest Loading Pad | MAKO Spearguns

MY45RG-2.jpg

I'd love to have one from mako, got alot of y'alls gear. Brand loyal. But its not for 6'7" 280#. I don't want it to be so tight its uncomfortable and when I called last week about it they said it would be to small for me.

I'll check those out. Might be just the ticket. I did some sewing, well my mom did, and I got a double layer of a 5mm suit on a rash guard. Going to test it tomorrow or Wed. Looks like it might work. Thinking a thin piece of plastic sheeting would help between the two pieces. Might order the glue on and give it a go side by side.

Went out in the pool just to test the loading pad. Works better than nothing for sure. I think a few minor changes and I'll be perfect, Initial design was a small pad underneath a larger one due to the sewing machine not being able to go through two layers of wetsuit material. Going to try to glue a small piece on top of a sewn on larger piece next.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom