Anyone else like shore dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trexmdr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
While in Maui last year my son and I did a ton of shore dives including Mala warf and others and saved a ton of money.
We got tank cards 10 refills for $40 and dove tow or three non-decompression dives a day. Would have cost me a fortune to do a boat dive each day.
I know there is nothing like Molokini and such but we saw plenty of sharks, sea turtles and fish galore diving from the shores.
Many times dive boats pulled up into the coves we dove packed with divers that spent plenty of money.
I know that it is not for everyone and having been on many dive boats its definitely great having a dive master and the like but
when my son and now maybe my daughter too the cost can be prohibitive.
In the keys we had no choice as wreck dives are the big attraction and i spent a small fortune there.
Just wondering what your thoughts were.
BTW we will be diving tunnels in Kauai this summer and we will be hiring a guide. I never underestimate the value of a good guide on or off the boat.
RT

Shore diving is a pain in the arse. It's only worthwhile if what you want to see is easier to dive from shore than from a boat (either because the marina is far away from the site or you can't bring the boat in, etc). You could make the argument that you can shore dive on your own schedule - which I guess is true if you discount the ability to charter a boat for a dive you want to do at an irregular time; gets a bit sketchy if the site you're diving is prone to tides as well. Honestly if you remove the "it's cheaper" sentiment from the equation and there's not much upside for shore over boat diving.

One guys' opinion.

Boat diving is a pain in the arse. You're stuck in a small space with a lot of people and gear, and it's hard to remain polite. Add sea sickness, a rocking boat, and engine fumes, other than the "fact" that "you see more stuff", it's hardly worth it.

That being said, when I shore dive, I wish I were on a boat, and when I boat dive, I wish I were on the shore.

I think it's a little bit of personal preference, and a little bit of what you're used to. I prefer boat diving by a wide margin.

My regular dive buddy, mermaid0sea though. She LOVES shore dives.

It's hard to argue with that cost benefit, though. Save $70-$100 a day diving? I'll try shore entry again next time I'm at a site that is accessible from shore!

While in Maui last year my son and I did a ton of shore dives including Mala warf and others and saved a ton of money.
We got tank cards 10 refills for $40 and dove tow or three non-decompression dives a day. Would have cost me a fortune to do a boat dive each day.
I know there is nothing like Molokini and such but we saw plenty of sharks, sea turtles and fish galore diving from the shores.
Many times dive boats pulled up into the coves we dove packed with divers that spent plenty of money.
I know that it is not for everyone and having been on many dive boats its definitely great having a dive master and the like but
when my son and now maybe my daughter too the cost can be prohibitive.
In the keys we had no choice as wreck dives are the big attraction and i spent a small fortune there.
Just wondering what your thoughts were.
BTW we will be diving tunnels in Kauai this summer and we will be hiring a guide. I never underestimate the value of a good guide on or off the boat.
RT

I have nothing against shore diving or boat diving and embrace both as appropriate. Bonaire is the shore diving capital of the Caribbean and its a wonderful experience.

I wasn't even aware that you could shore dive as much as you did in Maui and would be really interested in the details and logistics if you have the time to post it. Who do you recommend getting tanks and fills from? Did you just pick up tanks at the start of your vacation and replace them everyday taking them with you at night so you could start your morning at the dive site or did you pick up fresh tanks in the mornings? What dive sites or specific places did you shore dive at?

I'm going to be in Maui for this Christmas and would consider some shore diving depending on how painless the logistics are.

Both have good and bad points, of course. You go deeper (most of the time) on boat dives. Better shells to collect. Negative is having to drive there, probably get up at an ungodly hour, and follow rules (I've never had any problems with any rules, but they're there). Shore diving is easier, closer, no rules (at least not where I dive). But usually shallower, not as many or as good shells. Unfortunately, money plays a huge part in which one I do 97% of the time.

Shore diving is 95% or more of my diving.
Some of the best diving in Hawaii I did was actually a snorkelling/ freediving session right off the beach from where we were staying. One morning I woke up early and wanted to jump in. I worked a ledge/ dropoff and had a turtle follow me around for a solid 45 minutes. I burned up a whole roll of film on it (36 exposures of Kodachrome 64 in a Nikonos w/20mm lens - this was back in the film days). After the film was gone I continued to dive around it letting it follow me, then I would follow it, and back and forth.
I would have continued longer but I had to meet my wife at a certain time.
Scuba from a boat with a herd, that never would have happened.
Even scuba from shore would have been limited.

Shore diving here I can get in some great dives. There are some spots of course that are only reachable by boat, some very dramatic offshore wall, spires, and pinnacles.

I also do love the charter boats in Southern California.
There's more and better shore diving here than Socal, but Socal had way better boat diving at the Islands - plus they have lobsters - but we have abalone.

I imagine it depend on many factors.
Do you have a car?
Are dive sites safe from shore?
Can you get there without a long hike?
Anything to see close to shore? Often yes but many times no.
But I have to admit, there is a lot to be said for going where you want when you want and staying as long as you want and not being in a crowd while you are there.
RT

---------- Post added June 16th, 2014 at 11:38 PM ----------

"I burned up a whole roll of film on it (36 exposures of Kodachrome 64."

Ha! My 16 year old son just asked what Kodachrome 64, 36 exposures is?
I replied, "I gotta a Nikon camera, wanna take your photograph, mama don't take my Kodachrome away.
He walked away mumbling something about me being crazy.
RT

---------- Post added June 16th, 2014 at 11:43 PM ----------

Maui shore diving.
Plenty of great info on this site. Definitely do Mala warf and Blackrock at the Sheraton at night.
It's a zoo during the day.
I bought a book off Amazon called Maui Shore diving. 10$ paperback full of information.
MAUI DIVING Scuba Center/Snorkel Shop. Equipment Rental
This is the link for air. And yes we picked up tanks the nigh before.
RT

... But I have to admit, there is a lot to be said for going where you want when you want and staying as long as you want and not being in a crowd while you are there....

You are supposed to keep that part to yourself. :peace2:

Then keep the system alive, book a seat, hang with friendly faces, and help the captain and crew feed their own.

It's all good.

If it isn't, it's probably you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom