Anyone else like shore dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love shore diving. I would guess that over 3/4 of the dives in my log book are shore dives . . . but that's because we have such good, easy shore diving here in Puget Sound. But my husband and I have gotten to where we rarely dive off a boat in Maui (where my in-laws used to live, so we went there often). Yes, the viz in Molokini is sometimes better than inshore, especially if the surf is up. But you see the same coral and the same critters. My only manta in Maui was in 20 feet of water at Ulua beach; two days later, we were buzzed by a whole pod of dolphins. We played with a monk seals on a shore dive in Lahaina, and the Mala Pier is still my all-time favorite Maui dive, and in the daytime, you can do it from shore.

I've done mind-blowing dives in Monterey from shore. I did dives on the house reef in Lembeh from shore that easily equaled what we did from the boats.

There are places you can't get to without a boat. They exist in Puget Sound. We've also done the Socorros, which are obligate boat diving, and the Brothers Islands in the Red Sea, which are the same. But I think you could spend a whole diving career diving from shore and still have a ball, see fascinating stuff, and not feel left out at all. (I have friends who get so seasick on a boat, I wonder why they don't just stick to shore diving!)

I will quickly and vehemently jump to the defense of shore diving. No other form of diving prepares you to be an independent, prepared and competent diver faster. Once you get your feet on the ground, shore diving will allow you more freedoms than any boat. And, dare I say it, I find it even easier than dealing with the boat! Here in Kona, you drive to a site, roll out of your car practically straight into the water and have a dive, go back and have some lunch or maybe another dive or three. It really is that easy. And if you are comfortable with your gear and game for a little walk, you can get just about anywhere.

About 50% of my dives are shore dives, and a little less than 50% are from a small, private boat. A small handful of my dives have been from a dive OP's boat. On a private boat I either know the captain well, or I am the captain myself. That means no rules that I don't see the point in, and no behavior that doesn't follow my safety rules.

I prefer independent diving if I can get it. And around here, most of the diving is independent, either shore or private boat.

Only 12% of my dives are boat dives. Some places you do need a boat of course. I tend to get seasick if I get any fumes so that is a drawback for me on boats.

I love shore dives. We have brilliant shore dives available here. I have enjoyed the shore dives in Florida and California as well. The shore dives I have done on the House Reefs in Tawalli, Jas Aben, and Lembeh have been as good as or close to the quality of any of the boat dive sites in those locations.

I like the independence, lack of requirements to follow the crowd, and ability to spend all the time I want in one spot. I like the fact I get multiple shore dives in for the cost of one or two boat dives.

Sure it maybe a bit harder for entry/exit but well worth it. There may come a day when I have to limit my dives to falling off a boat.. but for now I will get all the shore dives in I can:)

I'm a big fan of shore dives - the problem is finding a place that has good ones to do! One of my most enjoyable dives to date was a shore dive in Australia, so I know bowlofpetunias knows what he's talkin 'bout! I just wish there were more exciting shore dives over here on Florida's west coast - we are so shallow close to shore here in the Tampa area that good shore diving is really hard to find locally.

Ah West Coast of Florida. I enjoyed 11 shore dives on the East Coast of Australia two of them on BHB:) I also did the Christ of the Moderately shallow :). I managed to get wet at Venice Beach but the viz was so awful we gave up on the idea of shark teeth hunting. I'll be back to FL in Sept. Can't wait for BHB again :)

Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: Maui, Hawaiian Islands

Lots of shore diving available on Maui. The first time I went to the Big Island we made boat dives. We spent a small fortune and the boats would moor close to shore. On my next trips we rented tanks and made shore dives at the same spots from our first trip. We had better dives as we were not limited to diving with a group.

I'll take shore over boat for a number of reasons. Some of which are - I don't have to show myself a solo card, I don't have to limit my dive to no deeper than 100' (Grand Caymen), I don't have to tolerate people pushing me out of the way and kicking me in the head and back, I can dive when I want, as long as I want, as many times as I want, I can do 50 or more dives from shore on Bonaire for what it would cost for 12 dives from a boat there. This list is not exhaustive.

Yea----but boat dives are better, for this older body.:)

Debbie and I do a lot of shore diving, including on Maui. For those of you that think it is a pair, consider saving about 200 dollars per day over equivalent underwater time from a boat. The independence of a shore dive, lack of crowds, and modest expense should make any competent diver a fan. Now don't get me wrong, we love boat diving too, which is in many ways easier, but does present factors such as a large group, crowded deck, and one or more less than polite and under skilled divers in most cases. So each has its advantages, but shore diving is always less expensive. As for Maui, the Maui Dive shop has an excellent shore diving guide with directions, simple site maps, and names and skill l;eves for about 30 sites. Among the best: Olawalu, 5 caves, Old Airport, and ..27 other spots. When shore diving you need to know your equipment, have a first aid kit and repair parts and tools, and good navigation skills. You also need to have a dive flag. But for this bit of extra effort and planning, you get an ocean to yourself most of the time.
DivemasterDennis

Back
Top Bottom