headaches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BadaBing

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Apologies up front if this subject has been covered before, I didn't find it here.

I dive with a regular crew of spearfishermen. One of the guys (really, it's not me) who happens to be the best spearo ends up with really bad migraine headaches after almost every dive. Here are general conditions... Nitrox dives, HP120 or 130 tanks, depths 80 - 110 feet. He is also a free diver, and sips air. On his last dive of the day, he'll max out his bottom time and still come up with 1500-2000 pounds of air.

His headaches are so bad that he carries Immitrex with him in both pill and injectible form. Last time out, when he got hit with his headaches, we had him breathe off the O2 kit we carry and that seemed to help.

I asked an experienced dive buddy who also knows my friend about this. His opinion was that he's getting the headaches because he is not breathing enough -- he's not exhaling enough CO2, and the headaches are due to CO2 buildup.

I'd appreciate any input as to whether that theory makes sense, and any ideas on what he can do to stop the headaches.

I think CO build up is a very probable cause....but it may not have anything to do wih his breathing. Where is he getting his tanks filled? Any of your other buddies getting fills there? anyone CO analysed his tanks?

He needs to see a doctor and have some tests ran if its after every or nearly every dive.

Sounds like there may be something going on that the pressure under water is making worse and could end up fatal, migraines are no joke and can be
serious, potentially life-threatening neurological problems.

I would imagine it could be 1 of 3 things. Bad fills, incorrect breathing (co2 buildup), or type II hits from a possible physiological issue. My guess it's not that latter but it is a possibility. Is he prone to getting migraines while not diving (during regular day to day living)?

Given what you are saying, about him maxing out his bottom time and still coming up with tons of gas, I think CO2 retention is quite likely. The combination of the exertion typical of people who spearfish, and skip breathing, could result in pretty severe headaches. I know the first trip I made to Ginnie Springs, I had one of the worst headaches of my life from CO2 retention and overexertion in the water.

I think CO build up is a very probable cause....but it may not have anything to do wih his breathing. Where is he getting his tanks filled? Any of your other buddies getting fills there? anyone CO analysed his tanks?

Almost all of us get fills from the same shop, and he's the only one affected. Also, most of us used to use a different shop up to a couple of years ago and back then he had the same problem and we didn't, so at least the circumstantial evidence would suggest the fills are ok.

---------- Post added August 6th, 2014 at 02:38 PM ----------

He needs to see a doctor and have some tests ran if its after every or nearly every dive.

Sounds like there may be something going on that the pressure under water is making worse and could end up fatal, migraines are no joke and can be
serious, potentially life-threatening neurological problems.

Actually, he is a doctor (OB/GYN). Any guidance on what kind of tests would be helpful, and he'd understand it better than I would but I'll bring it to him.

---------- Post added August 6th, 2014 at 02:39 PM ----------

Given what you are saying, about him maxing out his bottom time and still coming up with tons of gas, I think CO2 retention is quite likely. The combination of the exertion typical of people who spearfish, and skip breathing, could result in pretty severe headaches. I know the first trip I made to Ginnie Springs, I had one of the worst headaches of my life from CO2 retention and overexertion in the water.

If it is CO2 retention, what's the fix? What should I tell him to change in the way he breathes? Thanks.

Can't give any anecdotal answer for your buddy, but I do think it's a better question for a doctor then an internet forum.

He's skip breathing. Happens a lot in spearfishing, especially when stalking or trying to maximize bottom time. He needs to consciously take long slow deep breaths and exhale the same way.

When I get a chance to dive with you, I'll shadow him and monitor his breathing on scuba. Most likely heavy skip breathing. It's hard to untrained the free dive mentality.

Back
Top Bottom