Little Cayman question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheSaltySeaTurtle

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm going to Little Cayman from November 1-6, and looking at the extended forecast I'm a little concerned about how the wind may affect our trip. I know it's hard to predict this far out, but I would like to try and get a general reference point for how they deal with the wind there. From what I understand, if it's too windy (especially NE winds), the dive boat may go to sites on the south end of the island rather than Bloody Bay. I haven't been to Little Cayman before, but I hear that Bloody Bay Wall is far better than the sites on the south side, and we are really looking forward to diving the walls.

Does anyone have an idea of how windy it can be and still be able to go to Bloody Bay Wall? The extended forecast shows NE and ENE winds of 13-20 mph at this point. (We'll be in 40+ ft boats with Little Cayman Beach Resort.)

Thanks!

We've been to Little Cayman three times... only once did we not go out because of windy conditions creating rough water and only once was the wind out of the north causing us to dive on the south sites. Otherwise the weather has been wonderful and the diving great. And we're going back next year! Try not to sweat it... their dive op is top notch and you'll see plenty of BBW.

I have been to LCBR something like 8 times with about 120 total dives. In those trips, I have ended up doing only 3 or 4 dives on the south side of the island. The south side sites that I saw had a bottom starting at 60' and I did not see the really sheer walls I saw on the north side. Also on the north side, the boat generally anchors where the bottom is at less than 25', so you can do your safety stop at or near the bottom.

We dived off bloody bay wall yesterday and it was calm and sunny but our dive master said that "east northeast winds" are expected and it may not be possible to dive bloody bay for the first few days next week; and they may have to dive off other sides of little cayman on those days.

I am am sorry to give you bad news but let me tell you that it may change for the better. We were at brac reef this week and heavy thunderstorms were forecast every day. But we only had one day with some light rain. We did have some wind that reduced visibility but for the most part the weather and diving were great. I hope you are lucky too.

What everyone said above. I'll add that the south side is not that bad. There is still plenty of beautiful blue water and landscape and creatures. There is a nice wreck there....The Soto Trader. So if the north is too bumpy, the south is not such a bad place.

The south side of Little Cayman may not be as spectacular as the BBW on the northern coast but is still very good in its own rights. Better than most dives on Grand Cayman IMO.

LCBR is a superb dive resort, all inclusive and very diver friendly.

This US cold front that 'blasted' thru South Louisiana during the nite(Saturday) may affect the wind/weather come about Tuesday or so---my guess anyway......EXAMPLE.:.This is from ROATAN, even further south than LC......(little background here---wife & I used to own a house, on the north side of Roatan, 60 yards from the water--2 miles east of AKR...& my next trip back will be number 26---but---sold the place in '08).....ANYWAY, one MLK weekend we were scheduled to fly home on the Saturday before MLK Day---&-- on Friday a US cold front came thru......VERY(VERY) LONG story cut short: Roatan airport was closed(we did NOT fly) all day Saturday AND Sunday..YEP, we got out(BARELY) on Monday ie MLK Day.......

Do not ever underestimate what US cold fronts can do to closer Caribbean islands to the US---it can do more damage than a Cat 4 or 5 hurricane-----ie ask SUNSET HOUSE, Grand Cayman, about the damage it sustained from Hurricane Gilbert VS a US cold front it got about 5 or 6 months later......Let me answer that:......the outdoor restaurant & dive shop had a couple feet of water in them(from the cold front) & NO damage like this from Gilbert.........Needless to say the diving was completely shutdown for a couple days afterwards......

Here's hoping ,though, NO ONE misses a dive next week on LC or Brac..............EDIT:-----will be interesting to see what the weather does wind up doing next week....For those there, please report back...........tia

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom